Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Confusion...need enlightenment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by napski, Nov 4, 2005.

1. napski

napski Great. Where the heck am I now?

Oct 27, 2005
    Man, I am still in search of a good slap bass with low, fast action at about $700 or less (if that's at all possible). I just happen to live out in the middle of nowhere where the music shops don't carry much. The only thing that shined was an Ibanez SRX500 with Elixir strings, but it just did have the that bottom when you slapped the A string, even with both humbucking pickups!

I did see online a Lakland Skyline 44-01 with soapbar pickups for about $680, but I don't know if those are good either.

Another one I found are the Stuart Spector Designs Professional Series Basses, which range from $399 up to $549. Don't know if these are any good either.

Available online are some Rockbasses by Warwick with Maple bolt-on neck. Rosewood fingerboard. MEC Gold P and J-style pickups for about $560 also. Those look sweet too, but I wonder how they are at slapping.

Any other suggestions and models are open, as long as they are under the $700 mark.

But everyone talks about the Music Man Stingray being the slapster of basses. I saw a new SUB bass with all the trimmings online for about $580. I could probably find a Stingray on "the bay" for around that price, I guess. Has anyone had experience playing both the Stingray and the MM SUB and can honestly tell the difference? Is the SUB made cheaper than the Stingray?

Either way, it looks like I have to order online & make sure there is good return policy I guess since there is really no way for me to try them out before buying :bawl:

Any words of experience or wisdom...besides for me to move out of my area :D

2. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    2nd hand Stingray = job done.
    2nd hand Fender MIA Jazz, used with Sadowsky outboard pre = job done.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Second Hand Marcus Miller model = Job done.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    I can only speak on behalf of the Spector. Great bass and a steal to buy used. Only drawback with the pro series is you will have to change the jack. I have also heard great things about the Laklands and of course the Geddy Lee jazz. Any chance of visiting other music shops, even if it means a longer journey??

5. Im gonna say either a Jazz bass or a Stingray...Lakland's are great too, you would probably want a maple board though with any of those basses..

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Marcus Miller jazz bass. If you can find them in a local store you can haggle them below $800. It's worth it to save up the extra $100 or so. Nothing slaps better!

7. UtBDan

UtBDan Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2004
    Connecticut
    I played a ray and own the SUB. I coulda gotten the SR, but I went with the Sub because let's go it like this...

Stingray: 10/10 for musicman sound
    SUB: 9.5/10 for MusicMan sound

for several hundred less. I love my SUB. I recommend one. Still your choice, it's not an everyman'stone and it will always sound like a MusicMan. But I recommend one.

8. i own a marcus miller and absolutely love the slap tone and I had mine professionally set up and it is an absolute joy. i just ordered a lakland 55-02 because that has an amazing slap sound too and any other sound. both of these basses are ash with maple fingerboards.

I am currently looking for a used musicman sub X02 for a great price. They, from what I understand have the same electronics as the SR but differences are the body is not contoured and it has a textrued finish and only has 2 band eq. I really like the sound. I doesn't play as smooth as my other basses, but if you get one cheap, it is an amazing piece.

9. I have owned two StingRays and they had great slap tones. However, I recently purchased a used MTD Grendel for less $$$ than what you are talking. Even comparing it to the very high end $ basses that I own/have owned, it is THE best slap bass I've come across. I've got the action very low, the neck is really fast and the string spacing is a full 3/4" (it's a 5 string) which is super for slapping. It nails Marcus Millers sound. For slap, you would not be disappointed.

10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Lots of great suggestions already on this thread. I'm partial to the Stingray, but that doesn't mean that you will be.

In addition to slap tones, if you like a more versatile bass, you may want to go with the Marcus Miller as others have suggested. The Grendel is also a good choice. They have great necks and Bart electronics.

As for SUB vs. "regular" Stingray, I honestly don't think you would notice any "deficiencies" with the lower-priced SUB, especially if you'd rather go new. Personally, I like the Stingray and I bought mine used for $600.00.

For $700.00, you really do have plenty of options, especially if you are willing to go the used route. You could go for a used Lakland 44-02 or 55-02 with the Barts and the MM/J config.

11. your right/left hand=job done

12. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I own a SR5, and I've played a SUB5 in a store. The sub just didn't have the same feel, and maybe that feel is good for you, so you'd just have to try and see. I guess try to find an online dealer that has a good return policy.

I also have a Lakland 55-01, and it slaps very nicely. More of a modern slap tone over the 'Ray. But, hopefully I'll have a JO5 in my arsenal soon, good 'ol vintage slap action. :hyper:

13. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    QFE

14. napski

napski Great. Where the heck am I now?

Oct 27, 2005
    Man, this post turned out to be AWESOME!

Thanks for all the great suggestions! This site rules :D