1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass construction question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alexdeth89, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    Let's suppose you have two basses with same pickups and electronics, same brige, strings, fingerboard and dimmensions.
    The difference is one of them is neck thru, 1/4sawn neck and poplar body. The other one is bolt on, flatsawn and alder body.
    Do you guys think there will be much of a difference in tone? or the changes will be subtle?

2. Yeah, there will definately be a difference, IMO the biggest is the construction (bolt on or neck thru), I really don't know tone characters of the various woods in the project, but they affect the way the sound ressonates trough the instrument, causing a difference in the tone.

3. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Why don't you just say, P basses suck, your question will get no less argument!:eek:

4. Alexdeth89

Alexdeth89

May 7, 2012
    Hermosillo
    Not really, I've played some p basses and loved them

5. I doubt that the quartersawn vs flatsawn has any real impact on tone. It does however have an impact on neck stability.

I'd agree that the bolt-on vs neck-through will have the biggest impact on the tone and feel of the bass. The note decay and shape of the note will be different.

6. As others have said, the biggest difference will definitely be the construction of neck thru vs bolt on.

7. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Yes.

8. If there is a difference in tone, does it sound better or worse to your ears? No one can tell you that. Just being different does not mean better. I've heard some horrible neck-thru's and some fantastic bot-on's.
    Rocky

9. Where the heck is that popcorn GIF......

10. this is like the fretboard question. folks will shout until blue in the face that it does not make any difference. And folks will reply until blue in the face, that it does.

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Here's one:

[​IMG]

12. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I'll do you one better. Same exact bass and same exact guitar with only diff being one neck thru and the other high qaulity bolt on. Tone diff is consistently as follows with all such Ive owned (a few): Neck thru has little more treble which imo is due to all that extra maple in the body for thru neck. Bolt on has little more midrange. The neck thru sustains slightly longer for note fade out as well.