1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass costumes for Halloween

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by markoc, Oct 24, 2018.

1. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    Anyone ever dress up their bass? 20181024_131819-1. This is my j bass.

2. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    Still needs a little work but is already playable +-. Takes my #1 out of commission for my next few gigs so I'm using the p with fresh rounds on it. Might be rougher to play.

3. a few years ago we played on Halloween and we all dressed up for the part - guitarist and I both wore scary masks.... mine lasted about 30 seconds into the first song - when I realised I needed to sing my BV's... and couldn't sing with a full mask covering my mouth and face!

jamro217, McG, markoc and 1 other person like this.
  4. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Are you going to have some sort of strap device so that you can twirl it? Don’t forget the beard for yourself.

5. nixdad

nixdad

Aug 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I like it - innovative! I'm surprised the fur is not muting the strings.

I've never done anything as extravagant as what you've done here, but used different colored vinyl tape on the Jazz Bass I had several times in the 80's to achieve different looks:
    - American Flag for 4th of July gig
    - All White for Beach Boys set
    - All Black for Halloween (I had a very elaborate Headless Horseman costume which included me wearing a pumpkin mask all night - the idea was for the bass to blend in and go unnoticed)
    - Black with white drips to match a shirt I had at the time

I've done something similar for my son's Jaguar Bass, but just on the pickguard:

Fender Confetti pick look:
    JagBassConfettiPickguard2_zps6c0ce1c4.

L.A. Dodgers (the bass still looks like this today, but has #22 for Kershaw):
    DodgerBass1_zps8270a446.

GO DODGERS!

S-Bigbottom, BassCliff, ONYX and 7 others like this.
  6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    One year, I dressed as the Domino's pizza Noid. I got a clean pizza box, cut out spaces for the strings and knobs, and mounted the bass in it.

S-Bigbottom, Spectrum, McG and 3 others like this.
  7. These are great! MY Steve Harris Crasher comes already decked out ;)
    SteveHarrisPBass.

ONYX, Winoman, McG and 4 others like this.
  8. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    The beard I have covered. Couldn't figure a way to spin it without some major engineering.

McG and nixdad like this.
  9. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    It's definitely muted. I play with foam mutes and ashtrays pretty often and doesn't sound much different. A little restricted up the neck but I don't go there to often anyway.

McG and nixdad like this.
  10. markoc

markoc

Jan 6, 2014
    North San Diego
    that is basically what I did here. Built a box around my bass, skinned a muppet and attached the fur with two sided tape. I put the ashtrays on because my cuts around the pickups were a little rough and it really helped secure everything in place.

Mister Boh and buldog5151bass like this.
  11. I am doing the "80s hair band" thing (again, hey it's easy) this year, and decided to decorate my Jackson bass. I went to a sign place, and got them to cut me some polka dots and stars on the plotter and I'm going to stick them on the bass. I's satin black and the dots are pink. Hope it looks cool, but if it doesn't it only cost $10.

Edit: ok, I taljet my wife into putting the dots on while I was at work. I would have ruined it and she is much more balanced than I am... here's a pic!

P_20181025_155616.

BnB

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  12. greenduke

greenduke

Jan 21, 2014
    Dallas, TX
    Hum, I never thought about a costume for my bass guitar.
    Maybe, something like Kisses, Gene Simmons bass and kill myself with it at the end of the last set. :bassist: :laugh:

markoc likes this.
  13. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    West Columbia, SC
    352ab6a6716974d80338fc4e31a67d0a.

14. fjbass78

fjbass78

Jun 21, 2007
    Indiana
    The Abominable Snow Bass!

Winoman, McG and markoc like this.
  15. Back in the 70s I played with band and we would dress in a costume during the last set on a Halloween gig. I used to dress up as Mr. Gumby from Monty Python's Flying Circus. I also wore a black sock with a white sneaker and a white sock with a black shoe. The crowd loved it. :D

Flooflox, McG and markoc like this.
  16. That’s what you call an upright bass :help:.

17. StatesideRambler

StatesideRambler

Jul 1, 2015
    WKRP in Cincinnati.

Flooflox and Low Down Brown like this.
  18. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand

Flooflox, BassCliff and markoc like this.
  19. I read that the luthier who did the originals for ZZ Top used electric clippers to trim the hair under the strings. YMMV.

Winoman and markoc like this.
  20. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    b%20555.

S-Bigbottom, BassCliff, ONYX and 3 others like this.