Bass Covers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bunan, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Bunan

Bunan

May 27, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    A Rant!
    No idea if this is just me and if it is feel free to tell me I'm wrong but I often look for bass covers of songs on YouTube to get some inspiration. I am new-ish to the bass and am always looking to see what others have done.
    Anyways, whenever I type in a song and the words "bass cover" I get hundreds of videos and none of them are actually bass covers. The video always starts and some guy or young kid will immediately turn around and press play on a radio or whatever and then try his best to keep up with a bass that cannot be heard over the radio.
    Might be semantics but isn't this actually a play along and not a cover?
    Today, I found a few that promised SOLO bass cover in the title and you click and what do you know there is some guy who hits play on the radio and off he goes. What is solo about that?
    Worse still there is some kid promising ACOUSTIC SOLO bass covers and he turns on the radio and thing picks up an acoustic guitar and plucks away out of tune a mechanical bass line the never quite matches the rhythm of the song on the radio. He then goes into a thing he calls BASS TAB where he doesn't give any notation on the screen or any links but rather says "Push down this string about here and then go up here and push this one." During none of this spiel can his guitar fretboard be clearly seen in the video. Thanks for that young man! I'll be Jaco in no time!
    I know that there are no rules for what constitutes a bass cover or what a title on YouTube is but man it is just bloody frustrating.
    Does anyone know where I can hear some nice bass covers that will actually showcase the bass playing a song and perhaps even where someone has gone through the trouble of doing a bass only version?

el_Bajo_Verde likes this.
  2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    You are correct. Most videos advertised as "bass covers" are actually "bass play alongs".

When's the last time you saw a cover band and they had the original recording playing through the PA? That would be NEVER!

droo46 and Bunan like this.
  3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Here's what I consider an actual bass cover.

Jim622, azfatboy and Bunan like this.
  4. Bunan

Bunan

May 27, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    EXACTLY! This is what a cover should be.

5. Bunan

Bunan

May 27, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    This guy is what I am looking for. This is what I think of as a solo bass cover.

Jim622 and elgecko like this.
  6. azfatboy

azfatboy

May 11, 2016
    That was flat out awesome! Thx for sharing!

To the OP, as a fellow acolyte of the low-end, I have experienced the same frustration...

The best I can do right now is point you at one of my favorite bass-focused resources, Adam Flanagan. If I think of more, I will share, and I will continue to monitor this thread myself...

elgecko and Bunan like this.
  7. lostreality

lostreality

Sep 2, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I kind of prefer the play along videos. A lot of basslines sound weird out of context

I wish there were more remixes like And Justice For Jason where the original bass is loud enough to stand out but the rest of the band is still there

Matthew_84 likes this.
  8. My favorite:

I originally thought this was only one bass playing!...or is it?

Bunan likes this.
  9. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    You might like my YouTube channel. I do videos with animated tabs, standard notation, and me playing it.

Badwater and Bunan like this.
  10. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    If your starting out with bass, there are some easy tab covers showcasing the bass.
    Check out YouTube search "Cifra Club Bass"

They are from Brasil and don't speak English. But, the music and tabs are universal.

Bunan likes this.
  11. Agreed... I prefer them as well, as long as the bass is the most prominent instrument in the mix.

12. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Here's another cover. Showcasing the bass.

Not the true bass line, but more a bass melody version of the song.

Bunan likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021