1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass customization

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BlazinJzZz, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Hello all,
    i've been really thinking about customizing my bass a bit.
    at the moment i own a fender deluxe jazz:

DELUXE_ACTIVE_JAZZ_BASS_RW_VINT_WHI.jpg

i want to sand down the paint and stain it a walnut color, kinda like this:

2658_146996370401_650880401_6387-1.jpg

then i want to add a white pearloid pick guard. only problem is i've never removed paint. i don't know if i were to remove the paint, would it look good to just put the stain on the body. i'm just hoping for a little bit of info on the subject. any comments would be more the welcome.

2. i know you're out there people.
    i would really like the help.

3. atauntaun

atauntaun Gold Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2008
    Alameda, CA
    Endorser Jule Amps Monique
    Never tried it myself, but I hear poly finish is a b***h to remove. Try checking out this page on refinishing. http://www.reranch.com/101.htm
    Lot's of folks on here have used there products.

4. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    THE MADDEST SCIENTIST
    I'd rather buy a Warmoth body (http://www.warmoth.com/pages/CustomBassBody.aspx) and install parts on there. It'll help keep the value of your Jazz and it's much easier to sell a body if you don't like how it all turned out.

However, I LOVE walnut stained (especially real walnut) bass bodies. Top it off with a maple FB and I'm in loooove.

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    That walnut jazz looks like it's ash. Your bass is probably alder...they're gonna look a bit different even with the same stain. Food for thought.

Buying a different body, swapping the parts, and selling your current body would probably be easier.

6. i'm not too worried about the body value. i just want to start experimenting...and customizing will make the bass mine, not just another bass out of a factory.
    i've had this on my mind since i first got the bass.
    i also love the walnut color.

7. Well i found out that alder bodies aren't really too good to stain.
    but is it still possible?

8. Your body could also be made out of several pieces glued together. That might not look so good once you strip it down. I'd go, and am going, the Warmoth route. Just ordered a mahogany p-bass body, rear routed. Going to clear it. Good luck.

Erik

9. good call, i really didn't think about that.
    if i went with the warmoth, would all my fender parts still be usable on the body?

10. danny-79

danny-79

Jan 14, 2010
    Shropshire UK
    Yeah i agree, paint can cover a multitude of sins so its a gamble when ever attempting a strip down, if your going to do it never a bad idea to have a plan B, i.e colour change etc .. good luck with it.
    (but it does look good how it is anyways.)

11. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    IME painted Fenders are usually the ones that didn't look good enough for a transparent color.

12. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    I just stripped an Agave Blue MIM Jazz and it has a three piece body core with one piece front and back veneer with very nice grain pattern, so you might luck out. You could always do the walnut stain on the front and back and then do black on the edges like a tobacco sunburst? I used a heat gun and putty knife and the finish came off really easy, just take your time and don't gouge the wood in the process.

13. yeah, someone told me that a heat gun makes things WAY easier.
    i'm thinking about just going all custom instead. hand pick all the parts i want.
    only problem is the money.....
    i think for now with this one, i'll just have my art major friend to some abstract stuff on it.
    do you think i should take off the glass, then when he's done, re-gloss it??

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020