bass customization

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by head9784, Nov 3, 2002.

1. i was wondering if i could get some advice. i want to convert my Ibanez SR-800 from a 4-string to an 8-string. can anyone give me advice on how to do this or if it is even possible to do. thank you for any info you can give me.

2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd say not. I don't know from personal experience but the tension you'd be putting on the neck with those extra strings might well snap, or near snap, the Ibanez neck. Most 8 necks are reinforced with steel or graphite because of all the extra tension. Besides, the Ibanez headstocks are pretty small, so good luck getting the extra tuners on there, and I'd be worried you be taking to much out of the headstock, and it might snap. Not to mention you'd need a new bridge.

It's not advisable, but you could your own risk.
  3. That is going to be a challenge if not impossible. The main problems I see are string spacing, particularly at the nut,mounting the extra four tuners and whether the neck is stiff enough to handle the increased tension.

Unless you are really determined to mod. your Ibanez you would be better off to sell/trade it for an 8 string IMO.

Good luck though! :)
  4. You'd be better off either trading up for an 8, or getting a Warmoth neck. There was a thread on this subject not too long ago. It got pretty detailed on what all you'd have to do to convert a 4 into an 8. It seemed like you'd be putting so much money into your bass, for an 8 string that might work. You might as well just put that money toward a decent 8. Dean makes one, and IIRC, it's not too expensive.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Buy a Dean 8-string.