Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Day 2000

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Mike Dimin, Oct 10, 2000.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    If any talkbass members that will be attending Bass Day 2000 in NYC on Sunday, October 15th, Please be sure to stop and say hello. I'll be at the Fodera Booth hawking my book, playing a little and generally having a great time. I also just found out that Matt Garrison will be there with the release of his new CD.

Mike Dimin
    bring your earplugs!

2. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I was there Mike, but didn't see you. Picked up Matt's CD (I've been studying with him). It's great and I highly recommend it. Anyone interested can order it through Fodera at their website http://www.fodera.com or at Matt's site http://www.garrisonjazz.com.

This is a great event, and the performances this year were outstanding. Oteil Burbridge, Carlos d'l Puerto, Gary Willis (with Dennis Chambers!), Percy Heath, Joe Osborne, Billy Sheehan (with Dennis Chambers!!!), Will Lee and Marcus Miller. Unfortunatly I had to split before Will Lee and Marcus Miller played. I know, I know...moron! But actually it's an example of just how dedicated I am...I had to get back to Connecticut for a 9:00 rehearsal.

For those of you who have never attended, what Mike is referring to re: earplugs, is that between performances about 25 to 30 heavy-handed slap-happy bass players make a mad dash for the high end basses and amps, crank the volume up to 11 and try to impress all the other bass players with what is 99% of the time a bunch of nonmusical bull%$#@.All at the same time, mind you. I heard one guy play the melody(!) to Norwegian Wood...at a reasonable volume...and I almost ran over to him to give him a hug and a thank you. But that woulda been weird.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I forgot the plugs and boy was I sorry. I can't imagine heavy artillery fire being more deafening than what happened on the breaks. It was a relief to go out on 34th and just listen to the traffic. Stopped by the "Hollywood Squares" set, too.

Nice to finally meet you, Michael. It's nice to see old friends and acquaintances, I finally met Mike Tobias in person...he reminded me that we've known each other for 23 years:D Chuck Rainey, David Dyson, Nick Epifani (the 310 is very nice (from what I could hear), Anthony Jackson, Roger Sadowsky, Joe with Fodera, Carl with Lakland, Stuart Spector, the Warrior guys, Mark Egan, etc. ...definitely worth the trip.

Craig, you missed Will and Marcus? :eek: Will's trio (with Hiram Bullock) IMO smoked, as did Gary's set. They played cuts off Hiram's solo CD and some old Brecker Bros. too, all with three part vocals and a pretty cool version of the Temptation's "I Can't Get Next To You". Hiram came on with Marcus, too. Most acts fell victim to too much kick drum in the mix.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Wow, sounds like an awesome time, guys!
    ...I wonder: What are the chances of Bass Day being held in Norfolk(Va)next year so I can get a glimpse? :D

Craig-
    Good hearing from you. I have that Garrison cd on order; how 'bout a capsule review?

...did Willis mention the new Tribal Tech album(Nov)or the other "project" w/ DC that's also soon-to-be released?

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Brad - I was sorry I didn't get to speak to you more. When you came by I was kind of being pulled in about 100 directions. I tried to find you later but missed you.

JimK - as for Norfolk , DON'T THINK SO ;)
    I guess you'll just have make the trek.

Marcus was amazing. It was very interesting, but for many people, including myself it was the first time that we saw him live.

I got to interview Matt Garrison for Bass Frontiers, you'll just have to wait till March 2001

Craig - Sorry I missed you, I knew you would be there and had my eyes out, but sometimes you just need to take a break. I went backstage where fellow Bass Frontiers editor, P.J. LaMariana and I had a a great conversation with Jim Roberts. You might say we "cornered" him.

I got to meet and hang a bit with Rana Ross, recently profiled right here on talkbass. It is great to meet someone so open, warm and caring who BTW, can really play. She gave me a copy of her demo CD - her tone is HUGE!

Young Felix Pastorious hung out at the Fodera booth most of the day. He seems like a great kid (well he is 18 now), he is a really talented bass player and he seems to be able to take his father's legacy in-stride with a sense of maturity well beyond his years. I played a bit of my solo arrangement of "3 Views of a Secret" - He seemed to really dig it.

6. bassgeek

bassgeek

Oct 19, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    If the slap-happy cacophony between and during sets is any indication of the future bassdom, we're in trouble. It was funny at first, then annoying and embarassing as the awards were presented. Percy Heath deserves more respect than a preteen bassist slapping at "11" on a Megawatt Bass Destroyer xgf-15y amp. Thank God for earplugs and Uncle Will and Co.'s humor and groove filled set. Oteil and Carlos del' Puertos early sets were also highlights, but everybody had poor sound (perhaps it was the room). All bitching aside, it was a fun day and good opportunity to see some great bassists and equipment.

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The offenders came in all ages.

8. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    The real deal - is not one of them can play a shuffle. At the Fodera booth a young phenom, Mitch Cohen was jamming with Felix Pastorius, who as I mentioned is very talented- that was really nice seeing two young cats really blowing.

9. Hi Mike

It was nice to meet you on the day, by the way I'm the guy who dragged his poor wife over from the UK to look at a used Fodera 6 !!

I enjoyed the day very much apart form the in between set "thumb fest". One thing I noticed was a slight change of format. I was hoping to see the guys perform and take some questions from the assembled throng. Is the format going to be the same in future or will there be a return to the Q&A style. What do you think ?

I think I'll be back next year !!

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    There was some talk about changing the venue, so that the exhibitors were seperate from the performance, perhaps they can add back the Q&A

Mike

11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Nick,
    I hoped you guys enjoyed Niagra Falls

Mike

12. Hi Mike

Do you think the change of venue would be to one still in NYC?

Oh .... we had a great time in Niagara.

Thanks.

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Hey,

Sounds like it was pretty cool, besides the string-spank fest! Im hoping to make it down there next year, and ill probably be able to. Thatd be pretty cool to meet all you guys, even though im still the "spring chicken" of the bunch, so to speak. :) I cant wait until next year!

14. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I look forward to it, M-A.

I hope they can split the venues, a Q&A would be invaluable.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Is it just me, or did they misspell Joe Osborne's name many times on the official website? (JOHN Osborne?!)

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Wouldn't be surprising. You should see what Fender put in as a photo of Larry Graham on theirs recently :)

Obviuosly some non-bassists were involved. I hope.

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    One would hope! But one suspects otherwise. Just ask John Osbourne!

18. Rana Ross

Rana Ross

Aug 19, 2000
    I really had a great time at Bass Day, seeing all the performances, and running into old and new friends.
    (Hi Mike D., BTW, your book is really great!!!).

So, what to do to make Bass Day better??? Something really needs to happen here. Change of Venue? Definetely. Maybe it should be at a club like Roseland or something of that nature, (is the old Studio 54 venue still there?). You could separate the exhibitors, but that might be kinda strange. I mean, couldn't it just be as simple as having some rules, like amps off and booths "shut down" so to speak, during the performances, so if anyone is playing, then THEY will feel wierd and rude. I couldn't believe how rude some people were, playing while fellow players were on stage, showing no props at all for Percy Heath, you could hear the slapping and popping all during his set. It was kinda sad, and I think it looked bad. All I kept thinking is, no one would want their fellow players to treat them like that.......sigh...
    Anyway, it still was great seeing everyone and catching up. Even after all the noise, I still went out with some friends and listened to jazz in the Village!!

Best,
    Rana

19. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I think the people at bassday should give out mandatory duct tape to tape peoples thumbs during the event! And, you cant get near the instruments without it on! Problem solved!

And yeah, confirmed, ill be at bass day next year! Yay!

20. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Rana, I think a small number of people were in their own little world. That doesn't excuse them or the vendors who let them play, possibly for fear of losing a sale...I don't know. That was incredibly rude, especially for Percy.

Simple partial fix...put the vendors and the stage on seperate circuits. Headliner is announced, sufficient warning, turn your stuff off, next stop...no AC. Wank with that! The problem was, there were no rules and unfortunately some of the people acted like it.

Like school on Sunday... NC:D

Then again, maybe they were just deaf
    :D