Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Day 98 video distros...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Not Mark Westlake, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Aloha.
    Not sure if it should be here, so...er...

Anyhoo, trying to find a UK vendor for the Bass Day 98 video. I really, really want to get this vid, but my Mum's not what you might call 'keen' on calling the US to buy it, and she's got some kinda major gripe with online ordering, so does anyone happen to know a UK vendor?

I've tried using search engines and the like, but it's like trying to get blood out of a stone...

Thanks for any help!

Mark.

2. Thanks for the link! Seems they're sold out of most of them though :( That'll learn me for being a coupla years late!

Thanks all the same,

Mark.

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    I got my copy from the Bass Centre. Give them a ring.

4. My copy should be coming in a week from Amazon.

Oh man, I can't wait.

5. Ooh ooh ooh! Any details on the Bass Centre? Contact number? How much did it cost you?

Thanks very, very much,

Mark.

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    www.basscentre.com - The phone number for the London shop is 0207 247 7847 - The Bass Centre is now part of 'House of Guitars'.

Not sure how much I paid for my VHS copy (few years ago) - about £20?

Bass Day '98 on DVD is available through the 'Jazzwise' magazine shop for £21.95 ( www.jazzwise.com/shop ). I have ordered things from them before (you don't have to give your card details online - you can ring them as well) and have had very good service from them.

They are also stocking the Victor Wooten at Bass Day '98 DVD (which I heartily reccommend) for £21.95 and the Bass Day 2002/Drummers' Collective 2-DVD set for £39.95.

Hope this info is of some use.

7. Okey dokey, thanks for the info - the call's going in tomorrow! Here's the problem though - I can only afford one DVD, so which would I be better off with? Bass Day 98 or Victor Wooten at Bass Day 98? I'm thinking I'll hedge my bets and get the Bass Day 98 one, but would that be a mistake?

Thanks again (and sorry for the repeated question-asking!),

Mark.

8. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Mark,

The Bass Day '98 DVD doesn't contain any more footage than the original video release. You get three songs each from Michael Manring, Andy Gonzalez and Rocco Prestia. There is also a short interview with each afterwards (no technique as such, just talking about influences etc). Victor Wooten does two tunes (an extended 'You Can Hold No Groove' and 'Norwegian Wood'). Instead of an interview, he gives a very brief lesson on his double-thumb technique. The video ends with a jam between these four bassists plus Oteil Burbridge and John Patitucci.

The Victor Wooten DVD gives his full performance from that show. He does a Q&A session in the middle of his set and really breaks down the double-thumb technique. The DVD also includes a specially-recorded 60min lesson which is almost worth the price alone (goes into a lot of slap and tap stuff, if that's what you're into).

Which one to get? That depends on what you're looking to get out of it. The Bass Day DVD is interesting, as you get a look at a range of different playing styles and is quite inspirational. The Victor Wooten gives you actual techniques and ideas to go away and practice - I personally have got more from the Wooten DVD.

Regards,
    Dave