Bass Day

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fallon, Apr 25, 2005.

1. fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    I was wondering if,after Bass Day 1998,did any other Bass Day events take place.I recently bought the Bass Day 1998 D.V.D. and loved it,so I thought that due to the successes of Bass Day 1997 and 1998 there might have been subsequent meetings that perhaps have yet to make it to D.V.D.?

If not,does anyone know why they were not continued?

Fallon in Scotland.
  2. fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Ok,nobody knows 'nuffin'! Safe to say that no more shows took place.A great shame indeed.
  3. MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    I attended a Bass Day 2001 in October of that year in NYC.
    Other bass event was Last October 2004 again in NYC for the 15th anniversary of Bass Player Magazine. Those are the only events that I was able attend. As you said, I don't think these events were ever released to video, if so I stand corrected
    Peace Out,
  4. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    AFAIK, there are no other videos.
    I had the chance to be at Bass Day 2000 (Marcus Miller, Niacin, Gary Willis) and saw the cameras recording the show.
    However, never saw a video of it. :(
  5. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I have a DVD entitled Drummers Collective 25th Anniversary Celebration & Bass Day 2002. There's some great stuff on here, I would definitely recommend it! Some of the bassists are Tom Kennedy, John Patitucci, Victor Wooten, and Eddie Gomez.

It is on Hudson Music, if you care.
  6. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I was there too, MiniMic (for both but I'm referring to Oct '01) was an emotional experience. It was held at the Museum of the American Indian in Battery Park, just a few blocks from the World Trade Center just three weeks after 9/11. I had to walk down Broadway about 10 blocks to get to the event, and I'll never forget the sights (and the smells) as long as I live. The special guests of honor were the survivng members of the firehouse located closest to the WTC. They lost seven (I believe) of their brothers when the towers collapsed. "Hero" isn't a strong enough word to describe those cats, man.

Bass Day basically morphed into the Bass Player Live thing that was held last year. I actually enjoyed that more than the previous Bass Days. A lot less loud wanking by "bass players" checking out equipment hoping to impress somebody with their slap chops, and a lot more intimate and up-close exchange with the real cats. I hope they do it again this year.
  7. fallon

Jul 6, 2003
    Thanks for replies and great to hear that it has continued in some shape or form.Hopefully they will release a dvd in the future.