bass deathmatch for newbies bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by slick519, Aug 18, 2001.

1. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    well, i have narrowed down my choices on my new bass, and now im gonna let u guys figure out which one i should get.

the contenders are:

1. Danelectro rumor bass
    Price: $159 via musicians friend
    Take a look!

2. Rouge 4-string bass w/ p/j combo
    Price: $129 via musicians friend
    Take a Look! (this only 4string)

3. De`armond pilot plus
    Price: $139 via Sam
    Take a look!
    Take a Look!

4. Epiphone Power bass II
    Price: $149 via Sam
    Take a look! (To see the bass, just go to the bass section, then onto 4-string bass guitars. it should be the first one)

Well, if you would please help me with my decision, that would be much appreiciated. to do this, just reply with the one that you think is the best overall bass and why you think that.

2. In a contest between those 4, I would go rogue.. I even think I've said that I don't like rogue before, but I've never been impressed by an Epi bass :( and unless you really want the Chorus effect built in.. the Rumors bass is just a snazzy P bass :rolleyes:. (Which can be said for alot of basses :D) The reason I say the Rogue is that I have a friend whose bands old bassist owned one, although hers was natural wood finish with gold hardware (very nice, but I've only ever seen one) it was however the same model as the one your looking at. I liked the ability to switch around with my pup configuration and suprisingly the neck on the Rogue I thought was quite nice, I never had any complaints and when I sat in at a practice I played everything from punk and metal to Chili Peppers and classic rock. Overall a nice instrument for $130, a hell of a lot better then my Squier Affinity P bass, IMO, which cost more. Go Rogue :) although if you can find one in a GC near you I think that would be better.. I'm pretty sure if they've got a couple you can get them to match price, and you can compare the rogues to one another and find a nice one.. there is always one nice one :)
  3. Captain Awesome

Captain Awesome

Apr 2, 2001
  4. being lefty, i recently decided to purchase yet another bass and found myself short on cash to buy anything decent. i purchased the 4 string rogue for $139 from musicians's down to $129 now grr... but it's an all right bass. when it arrived the action was pretty low, but i went ahead and got it looked over by the local guitar store and they did a slight adjustment on the neck. other than that, the bass is great. it's got great tone, sounds awesome through my trace elliot. plus, the pickups are covered so you don't have to be careful with it. cosmetically there is nothing wrong with it. i personally don't care for the danelectros, so i say go for ROGUE!! (when are they going to humor us with some rogue info though? no site, no support, no manufacturer info... all were told is that they are made in korea)
  5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I would go with the de armond. imho, i think there are MUCH better than rouge. but if not the de armond, i would have to say rouge. becasue, as HWK2 Said, i ve also never been impressed with an Epi bass. and the danalectro........well..............
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Get the DeArmond.

It is a real bass that blow the wannabes that you listed out of the water, IMHO.
  7. lol Embelisher that didn't sound like a HO to me :) :D I've never played one, but I can't find anything wrong with the Rogue I played.. and what more can you say then that :)
  8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    DeArmond is the better instrument of those listed. Much better.
  9. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Of all of those, I would take the DeArmond.... but why don't you try and get a couple extra bucks together and get a Fender MIM Jazz or P-Bass... I would think that you could get a deal on something like that for about 200-300, and the difference between that and what you are looking at would be amazing.
  10. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I haven't played any of those instruments. But looking at your budget, I would considder the Kramer mentioned above from Music Yo. I have a steinberger from them and I like it. The kramer has 2 PUs with individual volume and tones. It looks sleek and playable.

Good luck.
  11. I used to own a Kramer.. if nothing else their quality control is rather.. bad. I recieved mine with one of the knobs stripped on the pot and the contact broken on one of the main volume pots. Musicyo sent me replacement parts rather quickly after a fairly scathing email, but I was unimpressed. The neck on Kramers is pretty nice and quite fast ala a J bass, but those soapbox pups sound so dead.. they have a 99 p-bass which, well, hey its got a thumbrest... but I would go for either a used MIM J or P bass, or a new rogue.. of his 4 choices, I still recomend the rogue, but like I said, I've never played the DeArmonnd.. so I can't comment.
  12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    The Kramer/MusicYo basses I've handled have been very decent for the money, but from the ones on your list, I'd have to vote for the DeArmond, too.
  13. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    thanks alot for all the help you guys have given me in selecting a bass. im gonna have to go with the de`armond if i cant find a good deal on an mim fender p or j bass. and if im lucky, i might find a delux p-bass (the ones w/ the p/j combo) but im thinking that might be more of a second bass!

if you still want to try to persuade me for another bass, or you want to sell me or more prefferably give me a good playing bass, just post a reply!

thanks for all of your help. im now going to go into the amp section and find a good beginning amp!

14. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    i don't think you'll regret gettin the dearmond. i ordered a 5 from sam ash for 160 & its a great bass for me-pickups don't hum as much as my jazz [mim] does so i use it for marchin band with the power converter. thats all
  15. Bass Player Magazine said the Pilot V was the best low dollar 5 string they have ever reviewed. If the four string is of the same quality it must be pretty good.
  16. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    go for the rogue... IMOP, its a great bass.. friends o mine has one of those... havent played it myself... but he likes it