Bass decision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassboy7, Dec 17, 2005.

1. bassboy7

Jun 21, 2004
    Hello all,
    I have a dilemma here at hand...
    For my bass, I can get the Cort A-5, the MM stingray 5 (which i dont like, neck feels weird), the MM Bongo 5(dont like painted necks), the Warwick Corvette 5,the Warwick Thumb 5, or the Peavy Cirrus 5 (neck through). I play mostly jazz, contemporary gospel, funk and some rock. Any idea on what I should get? I have a budget up to 1500 any ideas that arnt in my list appreciated as well.
  2. Try a fender Jazz and also a G and L before you make a final decision.Definatly do not buy something that does not feel right.
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If those are the only choices, I'd like the thumb, the only thing I don't like about them is I like to anchor my thumb on the neck pup, and that one is at an angle. Since you have MM's on your list, seems that my not be a problem for you, and I'm trying to break that habit myself.
    There are others, checking out a G&L is not a bad suggestion.
  4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I think a Ric is in that price range as well if you are into that sound.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Out of your choices, the Cirrus and the Bongo would be my picks. Since you don't like the painted neck on the Bongo, the Cirrus would be the winner for you.

Those are all very good basses for the price. Play them all, and see which ones you like the feel and tone of the most.

One word of warning on the Thumb. If you play standing up, I suggest that you take a strap with you, and play the Thumb with a strap, standing up for a couple of hours. It has serious neck dive, which drives some people nuts. Some people, like me, even get RSI from playing a neck heavy instrument. If it weren't for that, I would own a Thumb myself. Very good sounding bass, very poor ergonomics.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Forgot to add a couple of things about the Cirrus.

I play gospel, praise & worship, oldies, funk, and hard rock. The Cirrus is a tonal chameleon that works very well for all of those styles. I am not a jazz player (except for fun, on my own), but the Cirrus works well for that music too.
  7. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Easily the Cirrus, I find it takes quite some bass to match it.