Bass Defect or (K)not

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Apr 19, 2002.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Look at the attached picture. It's a knot going through the horn. Looks like it's filled with glue, resin, or whatever. The wood is walnut. Has anyone seen anything like this before? Is this considered good workmanship?
  2. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    A better angle.
  3. I doubt it would cause any problems.

A member of TB has a DP Custom with a burl top that has a lot of gaps, filled with epoxy (I think).

Hmmm... and if that is a Warrior (implied from Warrior.jpg) I seriously doubt it is a flaw. Warrior makes some damn nice basses, and they wouldn't let anything like that be overlooked.
  4. In fact it's a proof of very good craftsmanship, and
    most luthiers do it. think about it.. what would you rather have ? a hole in your bass, or a nice filled-up thingy that is smooth with the rest of the horn ? ;)

Some woods have holes in it.. so they fill them up..
  5. ashton

Jan 4, 2001
    its on the back so i really dont see any problem, i have 2 very small ( about 2mm square ) knots on the front of one of my basses, its in a good place ( behind the bridge ) so it doesnt look bad or anything. hardly noticeable(sp).
  6. I think you are referring to mine - the inclusions in the wood are filled with clear acrylic and sanded flush with the body. Epoxy is also commonly used.

The inclusion can be naturally occurring (like a knot) or by using a questionable piece of wood or by trying to hide (or "fix") a mistake like a tear out. The location of the knot in your example makes me wonder about the quality of that piece of wood. It certainly won’t hurt it, and if you like the look, that’s all that matters.

7. Yeah, Jeff. I was refering to the Burly Beast :D

I just didn't want to toss your name around a thread.