Bass Delay Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jordan Luff, Apr 9, 2002.

1. I've been looking for a good bass delay pedal (like the one Justin Chancellor from Tool uses), but I can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know of a good delay pedal? Is he even using a delay pedal, or something else that gives an "echo" effect? :confused: :confused: :confused:
  2. Justin uses a boss delay
    most any decent quality delay will do
  3. I use a Line 6 DL4. It works great.
  4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    on a budget/ are realistic? try getting a used boss DD-3. i'm not sure, but i suspect this is what justin chancellor uses. i heard that it sounds better better than its "older brother" DD-5.

have lots of money? maybe, MAYBE a memory man modded with tru-bypass. available through analog-man. it's somewhere around $300.

there are other units inbetween, like older ibanezes and bosses.
  5. i have the sounds good to me. The only difference between the DD-5 and the DD-3 is that the DD-5 has a few more features and you can ping-pong back and forth between two speakers.
  6. also, Justin Chancellor uses all boss pedals except for the Digitech Bass Whammy, Proco Rat Distortion, and the Tech 21 Sansamp Bass Driver DI.
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    well, i read the opinions of real tone freaks on a few different sites (i think was the main one).

IIRC, the consensus was that there really was very little difference in quality of sound, with the DD3 sounding better. but i bet these are the guys who'd be able to tell which brand of instrument cords your using with their ears (if you know proper english, this sentance is absolutely hilarious, btw).
  8. 6-stringer

6-stringer Guest

Feb 5, 2000
    Line 6 DL4 eats them all.
  9. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I use a Danelectro Dan-Echo. It sounds great, it's only downside is that if the mix is set to high toward the delays they tend to distort. All I wanted was a delay pedal, I don't have a need for reverb or short loop sampling capabilites, so I tried out the Dano and was hooked. I didn't have a chance to A/B it with either Boss delay, but I liked the tone of the Dano so much I didn't feel the need to.

My only problem with having a delay pedal is that I don't get to use it as much as I'd like to.
  10. slade

Apr 5, 2001
    I use the Line 6 in conjunction with the DD5- setting loops, and busting out over the top- both pedals track well, and are very usable. The LINE6 is really great for the studio, when you have the time to really dile it in
  11. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I use an Akai Headrush. Nice digital delay with a warmer, fuller sound than the Boss delays. To me, the Boss delays have no bottom end in the repeats. It doesn't sound like my bass. The Akai sounds much more like my bass. I also really like the tap-tempo feature.

I also suggest looking at the Line6 Delay Modeler if you are really into delay. This is the best unit out there by far.

The only reason why I chose the Akai over the Line6 is that I don't need all those features, and I don't want to take up half my pedal board on a pedal that I use 5 minutes out of every set.