1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass demos-where to host?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Mar 10, 2013.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    So I put together a demo of a few songs that I play over. Soundcloud blocked it due to copyright issues (duh! ha ha...I should've realized this would happen, but I was all excited about finally being done editing it together that I didn't think of it until they sent me an email!). I just put it on Mixcloud instead but am wondering if the same thing will happen. I'm eventually gonna be recording a few covers and am worried about those as well.

With an infinite amount of due respect to the artists I love and do NOT want to violate their copyrights, what are some workarounds for this...are their other sites I can host at if Mixcloud blocks it as well, are their statements I can include to cover myself legally since it is not being used for profit...?

With all my legal questions lately, this also got me wondering if there's a separate forum on TalkBass for legal questions regarding the music business that I haven't seen?

Thanks guys!

2. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Doesn't matter if it's for profit or not. If you distribute recordings of copyrighted material (like putting it on the web) without obtaining a mechanical license you are in violation of copyright law. Many long threads on this topic . . .

Here's one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f67/refusal-record-covers-763348/

3. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Thanks...makes me wonder about all the DJs who post their mixes online and get away with it.

4. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Obviously you have ISP, and there's a good chance that ISP gives you web space. Render your recordings as MP3, upload them to your space, put together a simple web page. Done.

We used to do this for reference recordings for band members.

5. How about youtube with a big bold statement saying "Here I am playing the great song by ..." keeping it private as well?

6. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    @RustyAxe: Yeah, you know, I think this is definitely an incentive to just make my own page and be done with it. I actually have a friend who said he can host it for free, so maybe that's the way to go. Thanks!

7. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    You might investigate this link a bit for starters. I've also heard that if you set your Soundcloud page to "private" you can post covers to your heart's content, not sure of the veracity of that though. All "private" means is that you have to give someone a direct link to the cuts you want them to hear.

My web host costs me a whopping 1$ a month and provides streaming audio for no extra fee. Having your own instead of using a friend's looks a lot more professional, I think. I'm just a hobby player, so that wouldn't really matter to me anyway though. ;)

Best of luck.