1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass design question and poll

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Snakeman1066, Mar 2, 2008.

Normal Neck or Upside down headstock?

Poll closed Mar 9, 2008.
  1. Right handed Neck

58.8%
  2. Left handed neck

41.2%
  1. Ok so before the year is out I am going to do two custom builds for myself and maybe one for my brother in law...

here is the question

how do you feel about a lefty neck on a right handed bass?

I intend to build the bodies myself out of either ash or alder as i have access to both as well as a shopsmith.

not ready to build my own necks as of yet, but one of the suppliers i'm thinking of using for necks is apparently selling lefties cheaper than right handed necks....

i personally don't mind the upside down headstock and think it would lend a little more touch of custom to my build...

again would an upside down headstock bother you?

2. Only with tuning if it was 4-inline tuners.

3. For me, it's just a case of what's practical Apparently, the extra stretch for the lowest string (if using a lefty neck) would help keep up the tension if you de-tuned to BEAD, but honestly, I don't know if the length of string on the non-speaking side of the nut really makes that big a difference...

4. Something I'd like to try. Aesthetically, it's a bit of a change-up.

5. I remember seeing alot of guitars and basses in the mid 80's with reverse headstocks.

but were talking almost $100.00 dollar difference in the price of necks...pretty sure i'm going to go that route was just curious what others thought (for the record yes they would be 4 in-line) they also do not come with a nut so thats not an issue

also still trying to decide on a somewhat original body design or going with the old standards...(P and J)

6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

What the heck! Try a leftie!

7. Makes no difference. Do what moves ya.

8. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i wanted to make on off-colour poop joke, but, as that'd be in poor taste, decided against it.

9. MaxZolt

MaxZolt

Aug 21, 2007
    Westport, CT
    Just so you know, reversing the headstock will not increase tension on the lower strings, because the difference from the bridge saddle to the nut is the same. Using different gauge strings, or changing the scale length entirely, would affect tension, but using a lefty neck would not.

10. steve21

steve21 Banned

FWIW, lefty necks have no bearing on tension. Tension is affected by the string's distance from the bridge to the nut. Not the tuning key.

Ninjaedit: MaxZolt got it first.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    It just looks dumb. It's like some nerd in high school wearing a red bandana to say, "I look cool."

12. Go on tell us what you really think....lol

13. (Bump)

so apparently everyone who cares seems to not like the idea of a lefty neck on a right handed body....

which means i will probably do just the opposite...lol :D

14. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I tried a setup like that (right hand body, lefty neck) on a J-Bass that was at a pawn shop. Tuning was a pain in the wrist to me.