bass design

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Guinea Pig, Aug 19, 2005.

1. I plan to start building this bass, adding various exotic woods like cocobolo, koa and bubinga. still havn't gotten down what woods go where.

Any other suggested woods you think this bass would look good with?

This was the first time I uploaded a picture to a thread so if anything goes wrong I'm sorry.
  2. Something to keep in mind as you lay out your designs...Figure out your scale length first and begin your drawing in scale from there. You will find that a lot of the proportions you see in your drawings now will change when these dimensions are correct.
  3. I love your design.. a figured walnut top on that would be sick.. in a good way (incase that came out wrong)
  4. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    :eek: WOW That looks so close to my upcomming project that it totally scares me!!!! No prob, just like me, it was probably an mixture of a lot of basses you know and love :D Really cool 'cause it looks that way!!! :bassist:
  5. yea i know i have to get the scale length down, but its pretty close considering i drew it free hand. Thanks everyone! Im exciting to get this thing going. Yea what i was thinking about doing is sandwitching some alder or swamp ash in the middle, making the whole back out of walnut and putting all the exotics up on the top.

Yes this bass is a cross between les claypools main bass and a zon legacey, maybe even a buzzard bass :D