1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Destiny, Or Bad Karma.....??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jun 17, 2007.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    Director of Commercial Sales - Neural DSP
    Ok So I've owned about a dozen or some odd basses on my life. One of the finest pieces I've ever owned was a Stuart Spector American Bolt-On NSJH-5. I found this bass used at the local guitar center in 2005. They had it up for $800 and it was in perfect condition.... the 17 year old store manager remarked that they were really nice basses for being Korean. I took a smoke break to call the Spector shop and make sure it wasnt a stolen bass or anything, went back in and bought it for $700 with a case. A true GC success story...

This bass was a 2-piece all quilted maple body. The quilt on this thing was a 5A easily, and it has this beautiful dark green stain, which I later found out to be the Spector "Black" stain. I used the bass for about 6 months, but some very hard times forced me to sell the bass for $1,300.00. A great investment you might say but it killed me to sell this bass.

Two weeks later Everything was right again but the bass was gone, so I ordered a Musicman Stingray 5, which has made me very very happy and served me well for almost 2 years. However, being involved in a bunch of different projects lately has made me wonder if it might be time for something new.

I'm involved with 4 projects right now; one tuned to B Standard, one tuned to Dstandard and two tuned to Drop C. The fact that my low B string wasnt seeing much action outside of being a thumbrest made me feel like maybe I should go for a very high quality 4 string with a D-tuner so I could switch from DStandard to Drop C quickly, and just get a cheapo five string for when I need standard tuning going down to B.... So, I headed down to the local Guitar Center with my 25% off coupon I get in the mail every 3 months to see what I could wrangle.

Yes, yes you guessed it....... hanging on the used wall was my Spector. MY Spector, same bass, same serial number. The previous owner treated it pretty rotten.... swirls and scratches and nicks and dings..... but nothing that cant be brought back to nearly perfect with some steel wool, a tin of Butcher's paste wax and some linseed oil. Guess how much. Thats right. $700.00.

I plugged it in, and even with super high action, dead strings and dusty knobs, it felt wonderful.

Now, this may not seem like its too weird a thing, but get this: I'm in real estate ( the real kind of property flipping, the dirty, stinking, awful, blood and sweat, make-or-break type.... not the clean sugary crap you see on television... it doesnt happen like that in NY. ) One of the first deals I ever did was a 2 family at 1249 19th street. I bought it from foreclosure, fixed it up and sold it to a family. They sold it to someone else, who let it fall apart and he got foreclosed on. I'm under contract to buy it again.

Identical situations with Music and Job.

How frikken weird is that?

so.................... should I buy the Spector and swap my stingray 5 for a stingray 4 with a d-tuner?

2. just get the 19th street property and clean it up with steel wool and butchers paste wax & linseed oil.

3. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    from the looks of it the previous owner beat me to it!!

4. pablomigraine

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    bump?

5. Go for it. It's calling to you.

6. I think you should buy back the spector, because if you let it slip away again youll probably regret it later. I know the feeling :(

7. garth elson

garth elson

Aug 23, 2005
    Los Angeles
    come on, man. it's a GREAT story, why not? who else has a story like that? plus, it's a chance to make 600 bucks again.

8. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Do you really want to be telling people the story about the one that got away twice?

Personally, I'd much rather have an awesome bass than a stack of green papers, if you know what I mean.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heh. you sure it's not groundhog day? :eyebrow:

10. Rota

Rota

Jun 11, 2007
    Mesa, Arizona
    Do it man. You'll regret it if you don't.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021