Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass DI-Box EMERGENCY!

Discussion in 'Ask Mike Watt [Archived]' started by endogen99, Oct 24, 2002.

1. endogen99

endogen99

Oct 24, 2002
    Hi!

Actually I'm doing some homerecording with my band. The drum-track is finished and now we gonna start with the bass-lines.

We have two ampeg-amps for choice:

Ampeq SVT-4 Pro
    and
    Ampeq SVT-3 Pro

(We also have a good ampeq-speaker)

We've heard that 70% of the bass sound should be taken from a DI-Box.

My question: Do we need an DI-Box, although we have these amps? Is it better to use a seperate DI-Box?

Pleas help us - we start recording today ;-)

THANX VERY MUCH!!!

bye
    Phil

P.S.: Which one of the two amps would you prefer?
    P.P.S.: How can I avoid the disturbing "noise" or "squeak"???

2. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hi,

I'm pretty sure both those amps have direct outs built right in and you don't need to use a direct box. you can also chose before or afer the eq section (take the "pre-eq" choic). a good mix between direct and live sounds is what most folks use. have your ears tell you what you like best.

if you're looking for a good d.i. box still, go for the countryman type 85 one - it's a considered a standard. I got one and it's great. go here for more info:

http://countryman.com/html_data_sheets/t85data.html

on bass, watt

3. endogen99

endogen99

Oct 24, 2002
    thank you very much for your help!!!
    all of you ;-))

bye
    Phil

4. Malcom

Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    You don't NEED a direct box for recording at all. Although a gross majority of bassists prefer a direct sound. One piece I would give to any recording bassist is to listen to their tone in context to the track. You'll probably need more treble than you think you need in order to get heard over the guitars. Your sound may be ****ty by itself, but golden when put in the mix.

Of course "duck" dunn always cranked everything, you can always cut frequencies, but you can't add tone that isn't there.

5. watt

watt TalkBass Pro Supporting Member

hey,

no prob. remember, let your ears and your bowels be the judge. all the devices are just methods to get those things to fire up.

on bass, watt