Bass DI-Box Questions

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by endogen99, Oct 24, 2002.

1. endogen99

Oct 24, 2002

Actually I'm doing some homerecording with my band. The drum-track is finished and now we gonna start with the bass-lines.

We have two ampeg-amps for choice:

Ampeq SVT-4 Pro
    Ampeq SVT-3 Pro

(We also have a good ampeq-speaker)

We've heard that 70% of the bass sound should be taken from a DI-Box.

My question: Do we need an DI-Box, although we have these amps? Is it better to use a seperate DI-Box?

Pleas help us - we start recording today ;-)

P.S.: Which one of the two amps would you prefer?
    P.P.S.: How can I avoid the disturbing "noise" or "squeak"???
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Multiple posting is against forum rules! :mad:
  3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Use the balanced line out. It should work ok, you could rent or borrow a DI for comparison, but it should be good enough for home recording.
  4. endogen99

Oct 24, 2002
    I'm sorry for the multiple postings!!
  5. endogen99

Oct 24, 2002
    If I play the bass over the amp and the speakers(Ampeg SVT 4 Pro and Ampeg speakers) everthing sounds nice.

But when I record the sound on the computer over the balanced line out of my amp, the sound is terrible. (WHY?)

Although the sound is fine over the "normal" ampeg-speakers!!!
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    What do you mean by terrible?

Noisy or bad-sounding?
    It will sound differently from your speaker sound, especially when you use cabs without tweeter.

Maybe Ampeg made a bad DI out, compare it to an external DI (e.g. Countryman). I never played over that amp, so I don't know how good this DI out is.

What soundcard are you using? Mic in or Line in?
    Don't use the mic in - it's a piece of crap on most soundcards, and the line in will work fine.
  7. endogen99

Oct 24, 2002
    The problem is, that I do not have a DI-Box ;(

We're recording by a friend. He has a very goog soundcard and we are recording via Line-In.

Ok, the sound ist not "terrible", but it has so many high frequencies and very less bass.

I'm not satisfied with it!

Does someone of you have an mp3-file or something similar with a "plain" bass-recording track? It would be very helpfull if I know how it SHOULD sound. ;-)

I would be very glad if someone could send me such a track. (just a few seconds)!

THANK YOU!!!

if somebody does - here my mail:

8. templelife

Apr 24, 2001
    Miami, FL
    Are you listening thru computer speakers or monitors?
  9. endogen99

Oct 24, 2002