Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass DI question...HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by enigma49, May 13, 2003.

1. enigma49

enigma49

Nov 22, 2002
    NJ
    I need a simple and if possible, inexpensive solution to a current problem. Bottom line, I have a two channel bass rack with both channels going to separate XLR DI outputs on a Behringer Ultra_DI Pro DI4000. Basically, I need to "combine" the two balanced XLR outputs to terminate into one XLR connection to plug into the single connection supplied by most clubs for bass. Jass Ad had given me one suggestion (the Behringer MX602A mini mixer). While still a possibility, I didn't really need all the bells and whistles such as EQ. That's all taken care of well before the DI outputs already. I had also looked into the Behringer MX882 signal router and panning both inputs into either the left or right channel to supply the single house DI connection. I plan on going from a 2 channel to 4 channel setup in the near future, so the extra channels on the MX882 would not be wasted.

But in the meantime, I'm looking for a very basic solution. No one has told me that I can't use a simple XLR "Y" cable (such as the one from ProSonus) to "sum" the two outputs into one. Is there any electrical reason why I can't do this? The outputs levels are evenly balanced at the DI outputs already. It seems almost too simple, but would it work? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I remember reading a thread about Y splitters once before. I searched around and found it - click here . Hope this helps.

3. enigma49

enigma49

Nov 22, 2002
    NJ
    Petebass, thanks for the help. That was EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm hitting the store for an XLR "Y" cable tomorrow. It just annoyed me that when most of the clubs see a full stack bass rig, they insist on slapping on the DI (almost always just after the bass and BEFORE any preamps, effects or compressors, etc.) It winds up sounding like complete crap. Thanks again.

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    yeah... sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission. By all means, set your rig up so that the desk gets your sound, but make sure it translates well through the PA, both in sound and in signal strength/quality.

I do sound sometimes........

5. enigma49

enigma49

Nov 22, 2002
    NJ
    Petebass,

Just some fill-in info on my system.

My bass rig's 2 channels are as follows:

One channel is "clean", coming from the patch bay to the input of a GK1001RB (using only the preamp section [post EQ] then using the DI output plug to the input of a DBX266XL, into channel 1 of the Behringer DI, then into one channel of a Carvin DSC2000 (2000 watt) amplifier and finally into a Carvin 115 cabinet.

The other channel is the "effects" channel, coming from the patch bay, picking up a Digitech BP200 effects box, going to the other input of the DBX266XL, into channel 2 of the Behringer DI and then into the other channel of the Carvin DSC2000 amp and finally into a Carvin 210 cabinet.

It's not the ultimate system, but the sound is powerful and clean. I'm always looking for some way to tweak more out of it. Any suggestions are always welcomed.

6. Petebass, you must be a Realist. Or maybe like me, a pessimist :meh:.

I laugh (to myself) at the attempts/concern that many players have for "their sound" to be coming thru the PA.

7. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    hey enigma,

want another Carvin 1x15 cab?

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yes but unfortunately that attitude was spawned by too many sound guys who don't do their job properly, and the "Us Versus Them" mentality that has resulted. I've always found it better to work WITH your soundguy that against him. Then when I experienced what it's like to be behind the desk, my relationships with soundguys improved further again.