Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass DI Question..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jul 21, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey!

I have an amp with distortoin built into it and lvoe that distortoin so I'm wondering this: On a bass DI when you plug an amp into it (off the "amp out" output) does it affect your tone ? So basically, say im running distortoin off of my amp instead of pedals, and I plug my amp into the DI "amp out" output, does that add the distortion to the sound going into the mixer or not?

See what happened is, I found an 80 dollar amp and cab (traynor ts50) and it has some sweet distortion. But it only is 50 watts, so now Im plugging into both my amps (hartke b60 combo and my new-to-me halfstack). The hartke stays clean and the traynor gets a nice distorted growl that I love. So would the DI work to add that distortion to it, or would I have to mic both amps?

I think I'm gonna end up getting one of those morley AB boxes, because then I can switch from clean to dirty (switch amps) real fast. only problem is I would definately have to mic both amps then I guess. :meh:

Any suggestions?

2. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Most DI's have an effected quarter inch and XLR outs, along with one unaffected parrallel quarter inch out. So you could run one amp effected, one amp unaffected, and send effected to the board.

3. I would suggest micing both amps anyways. You will usually get a better sound if you have the right mics. IMO, the AKG D112 is the best mic to put on your bass amp, and well worth the investment to know you will have it at every show.

I am a bit confused about how you are running your DI. Normally you run your bass directly into the DI, then the parellel output to your amp and the XLR output to the mixer. This means that your amp is not running to the mix at all unless it is also miced.

My personal suggestion would be to try out a Dunlop MXR Bass D.I.+. They sound great. They have a bass, mid, treble eq, and they have two channels. One is clean and the other is distorted. The distortion is very versitile. You can get just about any distortion sound you want out of it. That way you wouldn't have to lug around two seperate amps to every gig.

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Thanks!

You see the problem is both my amps are pretty low wattage (60 and 50) so i need both to fill up the stage, or so I've been told. Later on Ill end up getting a new setup but for now, this is great.

Does the MXR bass DI have two quarter inch outputs?

I think I'll end up micing both amps and getting an ABY box. Most of the time Id be suing both amps but for thwe quiter parts I guess id switch to just the one amp.