1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Died, Help me ressurect her?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NOAH_FX, Nov 16, 2010.

1. NOAH_FX

NOAH_FX

Aug 12, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    So newbie question here. Basically, my drummer bless his heart gave me my first bass.. It was used when HE got it, something like 4 years ago.. I think this is the exact model (Might be a little different) http://www.jayturser.com/jtb-40.php
    But it looks the exact same...

Anyway, it's been doing me great for the last year or so, but it died on the weekend.. After taking the pick guard off, i noticed the wire coming from the pickup was snapped off where it comes out of the body, as we'll as the ground is pretty much shot. I soldered the wires back on, but the volume cuts in and out.. The PUPS are also kinda of rusted.

Long story short, i want to replace them, but have never replaced PUPS before, nor have I any clue as to the difference between good PUPs for bass or guitar, or the difference. I was thinking of buying a new bass, but dont have enough for a quality one, i'd rather get this one working again before buying a new one. A friend mentioned EMG's around 120 each here..

ANY advice would be appreciated

Thanks guys

2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Not sure that pumping $120 in pickups into a bass worth just a little more than that is prudent. I'd check around here for anyone who's recently modded an SX or something similar and has P'ups sitting around. Cheaper, and they don't sound bad at all.

3. tdub0199

tdub0199

Mar 4, 2010
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Yeah you could buy a new SX for what you may spend in just pickups alone....

4. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    It's hard to make recommendations on pickups unless you know what you want. Who are some of your favorite players, and what pickups do they use? Is there a tone you've heard that you particularly like?

As far as wiring, that's pretty easy. Typical fender-type wiring diagrams are bountiful and a quick google search will probably bring up thousands of results. If you're unsure, you can always take pictures for us and we'll gladly help you out.

5. Ski3223

Ski3223

Mar 27, 2010
    Norman, Oklahoma
    ^^ Amen

6. NOAH_FX

NOAH_FX

Aug 12, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
  7. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    A brand new Jay Turser is about $140!

Go to a pawn shop and grab a used Squier....Order an SX.....Go to a local guitar shop and find some used p'ups.....

Unless you are in love with the JT (and if you are, I wish you nothing but happiness. Nothing wrong with that!), it's probably not the best thing to equip it with expensive p'ups.

8. johnboy65

johnboy65

May 22, 2009
    If you love the bass then maybe. The other question is if the bass is full size or not; will those pickups drop right in? If you have to route it too there is no reason to do it. Between the pickups and work you have to do (or pay to have done) you could get an SX or even a lower line Ibanez/Yamaha that would fit your style a little more.

The juice aint worth the squeeze.

9. Although I haven't personally used them, I've heard good things about SD Quarter Pounders, they're pretty high output form what I understand and won't break the bank. Aside from that, you can probably pick up a used MIM or even MIA P bass pickup in the classifieds for around 30 or so. I'd recommend taking a look at the SX instruments though, you'll pay the same for a brand new bass as you would for the EMGs and the basses are pretty phenomenal in my experience.

10. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    I'm not a fan of the EMG X-series, tbh.

If you're near Long & McQuade, I'd suggest the SD Quarter Pound. Great pickups.

11. NOAH_FX

NOAH_FX

Aug 12, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks alot for the replies guys.. Not sure what Im doing at the moment.

Do the pickups usually come with pots and a ground, i don't see any for sale on any websites? Im geussing not, but my output is also done.. Thinking about just buying a new bass... I just wanted to hold off to buy a higher end model.. Im decent with electronics, just have never had to replace the internals of a insrument yet. I do like a challange however :p

12. If you buy active EMG's you'll get the whole setup. Other than that no. I have a really cheap crap Ibanez that I love and spent the money on a set of EMG's. Worth every penny. Love that bass even more now. With EMG's you'll need a placed for the battery. Sometimes they fit in the compartment, sometimes you have to hack out a space under the pickguard. SD's or Dimarzio's (my other two reccomendations) are passive and are basically an unsolder, resolder kind of thing if all the rest of you electronics are good. There are som dragon something or other pickups on ebay that are supposed to be very similar to EMG's. I haven't tried them yet but they are very resonable for price and come with all the electronics as well. Good luck!

H