1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass died - no sound but it still works with my tuner?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rabid_granny, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Weird thing happened on my Fender Precision (passive pups). It just died - when I tried plugging it in, there was no sound from my amp. Strangely enough, when I plug into my Boss Tuner pedal, it can read a signal and I can tune it (confirmed by ear).

Is it possible for a pick-up to simply die without fading away? I haven't cracked it open yet but I would think that it wouldn't read on my tuner if there was a loose connection.

Was thinking of upgrading to Nordstrand NP4 pups anyways but thought I'd bounce it off the board before taking action.

2. did you check your amp? sounds like the amp might have died

3. aetheriac

aetheriac Supporting Member Commercial User

May 15, 2011
    Minnenapolis
    Sounds more like an amp issue if the tuner pedal picks up a signal.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Maybe you should check your amp.

5. EricssonB

EricssonB

Apr 5, 2011
    CoSpgs, CO.
    Have you checked your amp? Could be that!

6. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    I have to disagree with the above...ITS definitely not the (AMP).... don't bother checking it...waste of time....the tuners broken..get a new one!!

7. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    Awesome

8. kimokeo

kimokeo

Jul 7, 2009
    Both PUP's dying at the same time is very unlikely. You have other issues.

9. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    ^^Yes puppies have been known to die......it's unfortunate 8(

10. Not the amp for sure. In fact, I dropped the amp off at the repair store to get fixed (I knew it had issues before, it's just a little 25w practice amp)...when I plugged my bass into my gigging amp - no sound. Plugged in a spare fretless bass that I have and voila, sound. Also tested the fretless with the tuner and there is no problem with that. It's definitely the bass.

11. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Always start by checking the output jack connections. Then inspect the connections to the pots, tone cap, etc. The P-bass is a very simple animal electronically speaking so it shouldn't be too difficult to troubleshoot once you look under the hood.

12. I vote it is the cable between the tuner and amp...Plug the bass directly into the amp using the cable from bass to tuner as a quick check.

13. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I'm agreeing with the folks here. If the tuner is getting a signal, that's it... the bass works. So on down the chain, check your cable, then double check the amp.

In a passive instrument, it's simply not possible for it to be able to send a signal to a tuner but not send a signal to the amp. Unless, of course, the bass and the amp have had a falling out, in which case, bass/amp counseling is recommended. :D

14. Hi everyone, quick update. I finally opened up my bass today and found out what happened. One of the wires to my input jack had broken off. It's been loose for a while and I would hand tighten it. Over the years, it had been rotating internally until it got to the point where the wire stretched out and broken at the solder point. I was getting intermittent sound because the input jack would sometimes rotate and make contact. Before I tried opening it today, it was totally dead. Took a minute to fix with a soldering iron, back to normal! Thanks for your input!