1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Dilemma

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rarutz, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Hello guys!
    Here's my dilemma!
    I play bass for some time now so as I moved forward I came to think that it's time for me to get a new instrument. The problem is I was born in the wrong country and in our country, nobody keeps expensive merchandise on stock. I could probably find Stagg or Johnson basses that I could play in stores to see if they suit me, but no chance to find something over 1000 bucks. Please help me with your opinions. What would you buy with 1500 $ tops? I want to know what would YOU buy and why. I know it's risky and I should play one first to buy one but that's the way it is.
    So what would you buy?
    Thanks for the help.

2. I live in SG so to get instruments here is quite expensive (shipping is SO unreasonable.)

See. You're not alone.

You need to tell us TBer what you need 1st if we were to recommend you a good axe.
    What kind of tone you looking for? What genre? How many strings? etc etc

3. ALiP BoB it's good to know you're not alone although I feel sorry for you.
    I will surely choose a 4 string bass. In terms on tone and style, is there anything out there versatile enough to cross these borders. You have to understand, I am fishing here.
    What would you buy?

4. Me? Well.. I don't know.

p.s
    Check my G.A.S list.

:D

5. I like Mike Porcaro's sound and the style of Toto is close to what I would be thrilled to get close to some day in the distant future. Does that help?

6. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    What country do you live in?

7. ALiP BoB,
    good luck with that list!

8. ROOOOOOOOOmania

9. Who?:p

Sorry man, I don't know who you mentioned. Mayb other TB'ers do.

And I'll complete the list! In a few hundred years...

10. Mike Porcaro from Toto. nevermind

11. Hehs. Consider yourself lucky having 1.5 grand to spend on bass.

12. i know i am. but on the other hand i work hard for it

13. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - Perú
    I thought that Europe have a lot of good luthiers ...why don't you get some custom bass?

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Mike Porcaro plays one of these.

15. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    According to an interview, he is using Peavey Cirrus 5. He is a Peavey endorser. A BXP is around $500. A Cirrus would be around $1500.

http://www.toto99.com/totospeaks/qanda/mike-qa.shtml

Similary fashioned basses are Ibanez BTBs and Yamaha TRBs.

All are great instruments.

16. Yea, you deserve it.

There you go. Peavey Cirrus. Just the right price AND gets raving reviews from TB'ers.

17. it's STERLING

18. What? You bought a Sterling?

19. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii

But what did he use on all those old Toto albums? The Cirrus didn't exist then.

I do agree that the Cirrus is a great bass, I just thought he was looking for the tone on the Toto albums..

20. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    David Hungate played bass on the first four Toto albums, and he used an Ibanez Musician IIRC. :)