1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass DIs with two inputs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnm0187, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Hey all,

I'm just looking for some options for a bass di with two inputs so I can switch between fretted and fretless easily during live performance. I haven't done a lot of research on DIs before so honestly I don't know that much. You can check out the type of music I play here : www.soundcloud.com/professor-John-2

Thanks for any help,

Professor John

2. I'm no expert, but I haven't seen a DI with two separate inputs. I do know that there are some DI's with memory so you could program your settings, save the patches and then when you switch basses you just hit your other patch (via foot switch) and you're good to go. The one I can think of is the Tech 21 VT Bass - look for the programmable one with three foot switches.
    If you feel you need to have the basses plugged in to a separate cable, you can buy a guitar switcher (A/B), hit the switcher then you're other patch on the DI.

3. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Jeff Bonny likes this.
  4. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Its not cheap but its the clearest Active DI that I have ever heard...Period.

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Leo Smith and sevenyearsdown like this.
  6. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
  7. These are all great suggestions. There is a tech 21 character series vt bass with two inputs too. Is there going to be a huge different in tone between the radial products and tech 21?

8. WaldoNova

WaldoNova Having fun yet? Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2009
    Mt Vernon, NY
    The Basswitch has 2 inputs but like the other options isn't very cheap. I have one and its a very high quality unit.

TonyP- likes this.
  9. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You learn something new every day ;)

TonyP- likes this.
  10. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    not-sure-if-serious-or-just-being-sarcastic.

11. gregmon79

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    No, I was serious haha. I always heard pretty good stuff about the bassbone. Not to say what you said is a bad thing, but I would hope that outputs would be somewhat identical other than it being for passive and active. I think. Im probably wrong.

12. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    In all seriousness...The rail voltage is HUGE and the main reason why the JDV is so clear...Because of this the JDV is the main re-amping tool in the industry.

13. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I wanted the Bassbone to be killer but...o_O again thats IMHO

14. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    That one is on my list...The Basswitch is a great unit...but it might be to much if just want DI options...If you want the other aspects that the BW offers like a pre or line-level capabilities ect...Then its a no brainier. I don't think the BW has a competitor for what it does specifically.

15. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I bought a Live Wire ABY box at Guitar Center for $50. I used it for the first time the other night and it worked great. I was easily able to switch between the channels and alternate playing my Jazz and Precision.

16. The jdv is definitely out of my price range. I was looking for something more comparable to the bass bone or this http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SACSVTDlx/

Or if someone could get me a raise that'd be cool too haha.

Thanks for the help

17. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    I've used a bassbone for five years, and never had a problem with it... I generally use it with an active five string and an acoustic fretless. I have not noticed any problem with sound quality or signal loss....

Leo Smith likes this.
  18. TonyP-

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    I don't want to rub anyone the wrong way with the Bassbone...I'm sure for a lot of players they are fine. I'm sure it works well, Radial gear usually does.

As far as Sound Quality. Well...That its hard to argue.
    Especially if you heard it A/B against the Bassbone. We did a DI shoot out @ one of the GTGs and you would be amazed.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  19. Does anyone have any opinions on the tech 21? It got great ratings on sweetwater, but the bassbone does not have any reviews to compare the two.

Thanks

20. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    Dang it! Now I'm gonna have to buy more gear....!

TonyP- likes this.