Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass distortion and wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by basspunk2005, Mar 20, 2005.

1. basspunk2005

basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    hey i got a marshall blues breaker 2 and a cry baby bass wah. wondering if anyone knows any good settings i can get in this combination and dont just say twiddle about with it as i have tried and i want ppl who have actually found some decent sounds thanks>

the blues breaker has

boost/blues drive tone volume

the crybaby has

eq and volume

i know i wont be able to replicate this sound, but i would like something along the lines on anesthesia pulling teeth. i know burton used a big muff and a morely wah but i dont have those so dont say GO AND BUY THOSE. i have what equipment i have and would like to get as close as i can get with this equipment so if anyone can help then thanks

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    As much as you don't want to hear it, no one is likely able to help you get a sound that you want with your hands and your gear. You really just need to experiment. Sorry. :meh:

3. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    I'm a huge fan of the distorion + wah

I use a Fulltone Fulldrive II plus a MXR Envelope Filter...

Sounds incredible! filter first then into the overdrive.

good luck!

4. Boozy

Boozy

Apr 29, 2002
    Kelowna BC, Canada
    i dunno but with a normal wah wah pedal (a black one for guitar) you can get some pretty crazy distotioneee sounds by just leaving the pedal in certain engaged positions.. play around, have fun.

5. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    hmm i actually have the reverse experience than joconnorwi, i can get a sound that i like similiar to what you describe by putting my wah after my overdrive tube stage, by placing it in the effects loop of my swr iod.

i use the dunlop 105q also, i usually put both knobs on max, sometimes i back off the Q knob a notch or two, but usually its on max, try to set your distortion to give a 'warm' breakup....i think?

but its basically like what the other say....you have to pretty much invest time into it and mess around a whole lot