Bass Distortion/Overdrive pedals....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Harris, Apr 18, 2002.

1. Harris

Apr 18, 2002
    I'm looking for a distortion or overdrive pedal that will help me stand out when I'm playing alone with my drummer. I tried the boss overdrive but thought it sounded like a weak guitar distortion and the pedal took away to low depth to the bass sound. Any body have any suggestions on a good distortion pedal? How is the Ibanez Phat Hed? I've heard good things but never have played on it. This would be my first pedal.

Thanx for any help!
  2. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Gallien Krueger DieselDawg.
  3. Hughes & kettner tubefactor. there is no substitute, period. :)
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Dredge-Tone Angler. Much better than the Fulltone Bassdrive and Buddah PhatBass I used to use, IMHO. Also cheap @ $115.
  5. Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    you really like the angler, lo-z? I haven't tried it but have heard good things. If you say you like it better than the bassdrive, I will have to give one a go.
  6. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    EBS Multi Drive.

Before you buy it, put it up against any other overdrive pedal and you'll see why I picked this one.
  7. I've got the PD7 and love it. I only ever compared it to the Boss and similarly priced OD/Distortion pedals. It kicked them all into the gutter. Something like a ProCo Rat will probably sound a tiny bit better, but not for the $$$.

8. you guys really like the dredgetone angler over the fulltone bassdriver... my fulltone sounds a little weak on my stingray and i was thinking about trying something else out.
  9. Try the Hughes & kettner tubefactor. you will NOT be dissapointed.. in fact you will go " HOLY **** ! " over the sound.

i can record some sounds if you want :)
  10. that would be great... do you have an active electronic bass?
    my fulltone sounded good with my ampeg but weak on the stingray
  11. yep. the passive P-bass is unavailable atm ( being modified ), but the active Yamaha and Ibanez are available :)

will post them later on.
  12. there you go : - Drive : 100 %, level : 25 %, voicing : 100%, fingerstyle. - Drive : 50 %, level : 33 %, voicing : 33 %, pick playing.

they're both in this order : clean -> factor 1 -> factor 2. please note the crappy preamp ( 10 years old Aria AB-30 ). the tubefactor has a very typical sound imho.. it's not like any other overdrive, because the Tubefactor has in fact got a real tube in it, where most others try to emulate one.

if you boost the highs on your bass a little, it gives a real nice punchy overdrive.. if you cut the highs ( like i did in the samples ), it gives a real rough, almost fuzz-like mayhem :D

what i like the most about this pedal is that, despite the fact that it isn't a dedicated bass-overdrive, it still has humungous bottom. I used to like the Boss ODB-3 a lot, but since i've got this one it sucks *** !

Boss ODB-3 : [​IMG]
    Hughes & Kettner Tubefactor : [​IMG][​IMG]
  13. I'm using the Pro-Co Rat, it's great for solos with a wah, but it's rather fuzzy. it lacks the low end grinding overdrive that I would like.

I was messin around the other day with a boss overdrive/distortion (ODB-3), and I thought it sounded great. it took awhile to get a sound that I liked, but once I got it dialed in it rocked. I could get that low end grind sutable for holding a solid rythum, without the fuzz robbing me blind. but, I've never tried any other pedals. so, to me the boss sounded like more MY thing than the Rat.

so Harris, did you give the boss some good time to dial in a sound? cause I know you can get it to sound like a "weak guitar distortion" if you want, but if you mess around with it a while you'll find it to be very versitile. I say, try as many as you can untill you find the ONE.

happy hunting :)
  14. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    I have an Ibanez Phat Hed. For the money, its pretty good. 'Course I practically stole the one I got! It's not as good as some of the boutique pedals, but it definitely won't thin out your sound. And, you don't have to be paraniod about drunks spilling stuff on your new Bass Drive! Its worth a try.
  15. pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    The Ibanez PhatHead does sound surprisingly good for the price of the unit ($59 US on average?)

I just tried out a bunch of overdrive/distortion pedals this weekend, and the winner was the Carl Martin Heavy Drive. This unit is great. Can do warm overdrive, and heavy crunch. No loss on the low-end, and it's True Bypass, all Analog. Anyone else try these??? I love this thing!

I'll try to get some MP3 samples out when I get a chance.
  16. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Well, for distortion, why not the Bassballs from EH? It's cheap, it gives a pretty solid, but not overwhelming, distortion and you can also get some pretty funky sounds out of it.
  17. crud19

Sep 26, 2001
    The Fulltone is best for subtle, on-all-the-time overdrive. It's not really great for over the top soloing distortion. It definitely sounds like an overdriven tube amp more than anything else. I really, really like that pedal. I would NOT recommend the Boss ODB, especially if you don't want all your midrange sucked out.
  18. allodox could create a few more samples with less drive ?
  19. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    The MXR M-80 has a pretty versatile overdrive section. With the blend, you can dial in varying amounts of everything from soft tube-style clipping to really ratty fuzz.

The PD-7 will give you clean or dirty, but not slightly dirty. I tried one, and on the OD setting with the drive at zero it was already fuzzier than I wanted. With a blend control, it would probably be OK, but it doesn't have one.

I have a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz on the way, so sometime next week, probably Thurs. or Fri., I can let you know what it sounds like.
  20. The problem with fuzz's is that they can't get subtle, my big muff, even set at the minimal fuzz setting, is very ratty, I like it, but only for extreme stuff. A cheap overdrive is the Danelectro Daddy-O, very cheap, versitile, and sounds even beter on guitar, but sounds good on bass.

Or get a sansamp, like I did *I got a Big Muff, SansAmp and the Daddy-O*:p