bass distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by king_truffle, May 4, 2002.

1. king_truffle

Apr 4, 2001
    Oshkosh WI
    Hey gang, I've been looking for a certain sound in my distortion pedal. If anyone is into the Smashing Pumpkins and has they're second most recent album, MACHINA\the Machines Of God, on the first song The Everlasting Gaze I want that distortion sound like the bass uses on that. Anyone know what pedal might produce that?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks gang.
  2. Hughes & kettner tubefactor.. just boost the highs on your bass a little and boost the lows + cut the mids on your amp.. works perfect.

i'll give you a sample later on..
  3. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
  4. benevan

May 2, 2002
    I second that barroso. I'm fairly certain the Pumpkins use Big Muff's.

While we're on the topic of bass distortion - or fuzz actually - has anyone tried any of the following pedals or have/know of sound clips for them?

Prescription Depth Charge
    Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz

I currently have an EBS multidrive and a wooly mamouth on my board but I want a fuzz that is not as edgey as the zvex. I loved my Craig Anderton Bass Fuzz, but it totally crapped out on me and I'm having a hell of a time troubleshooting (homemade effects can be problems if you don't know what you are doing ;-) ).

I was also thinking of trying the Chunk and the Frantone bass fuzzes. Anyone have experience with these?
  5. It has great potential, really. A quick mod to mix the clean and dirty signals and wella I'm sure you'de get a nice crunchy bass distortion (rather then buzzy, like most transitor or anolog distortions.)
  6. If anyone knows how to mod an ordinary fuzz/OD box for this please GOD let them tell me. A mod on my Rat pedal or Big Muff so I could blend in a regular signal....oh man.
  7. can actually do that simply enough with a couple of a/b boxes and a volume pedal. But moding the actual interior of the pedal would require a buffer, adder, external pot, and a rerouted signal. You would need to make a separate board for the clean signal from the distortion, split the input signal into both boards take the output from both boards and rather than running into the origional output run it into the mixer.
  8. actually a good 2watt pot and some diodes could do the trick for most pedals..
  9. So it could be that easy...? Anymore you can tell me?
  10. Run the clean signal parallel to the effect, and blend it at the output.. but put some diodes in it, to prevent the signals from influencing eachother too much...
  11. anyone wanna make some money by modding my Big Muff to have the clean blend? Ill pay shipping and such