Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Dominant Boost

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by amistybleu, Feb 14, 2006.

1. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    I have been watching this and many other forums in an attempt to choose some effects with absolutely no concrete progress.

I love my bass sound, it's growling mids and fat lows are very pleasing and I have no problem cutting through in our hard rock band. Here is my problem:

during many of our songs I have Bass dominant parts (not Solo's) and they seem to lack that punch I desire and I am looking for some type of effect (tim Commerford-ish) that will boost and fatten my sound during these times.

Please, I know what commerford uses and its a combination of tons of stuff both known and unknown, what I would like to know is what do you use to achieve this effect.

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Look for a compressor. The punch factory is pretty good for "punch".

as for other compressors check out this thread for more reviews.

3. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Should I use it in combination with my dbx 160A, that runs through my effects loop.

4. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I don't know wether this is the right thing to suggest, but I think the Aphex Bass Xciter is what you may be looking for. I heard it makes your bass sound huge.

5. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Do you use it, I understand it colors your sound although I might hook into one @ GC and see if I like it.

Keep the replies coming!!!!!

6. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    I haven't used it no, so that's why I was unsure of suggesting it. But I wouldn't rule it out completely, may as well give it a go :)

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    My Toadworks Mr. Squishy definitely adds punch. It's similar to other pedal compressors that don't have a lot of features, but do what they need to do.

8. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Does anybody use two compressors, rack and stomp? thanks for the info on the Mr. Squishy.

9. I'd actually suggest throwing some tube overdrive / distortion on during those parts - it'll naturally compress the sound and push the high-mids out a bit. I know that Timmy C has some overdriven / distorted parts so maybe this will get you closer to what you are look for...

There are a ton of distortion options out there, and I am no expert - but I have had good results with 2 guitar units; a Chandler Tube Driver and a V-Twin Rackmount from Mesa Boogie. I've also used a guitar POD 2.0 before - nice as well.

Good Luck!

10. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    Do you find that they suck from the Bass tone, the last thing I want is a guitar Sound, Ouch on the chandler tube driver, over $250.00 used on ebay.

11. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    BUMP- Must have more information:smug:

12. Some guitar distortions do kill the low end, but I have had great results on the stuff I have listed - better than the bass distortions I have tried. You certainly need to eq carefully, or split your signal in extreme cases, but I like the crunchy character I get from them. And lots of bass guys use a guitar distortions - I just saw King's X and saw a guitar POD XT in Doug's rack. If you want to pm me your email addy I can send you some recorded tones I have gotten. Oh, and I guess I got a good deal on my Chandler - 50 bucks!