1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass Driber DI Para Driver DI or MXR M-80

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Macher, Mar 10, 2008.

1. Macher

Macher

Aug 29, 2006
    Montreal
    Hello,

didn't know where to post but...

i am interested in those products because i want to use it as an overdrive with my electric bass, and as a preamp with my upright bass.

I tried the Bass Driver DI and liked the overdrive. It was better than nothing with my upright, but wished the presence knob was a mid knob.... but i liked the blend control.

If the Overdrive is the same i might be tempted by the Para Driver DI that features a better equalizer. Then i discovered the MXR M-80 that seems to have everything i need.

Anybody has tried the three of them?

Any comment on the overdrive of the M-80?

Thanks

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    M-80 is more of a distortion there is a megathread comparing the 2 if you do a search and find that you will find a stupid amount of info on it.

Personally I want both :eek:

3. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You may want to look at the EBS Micro Bass II as well.

4. The ParaDriver doesn't sound like the BassDriver at all. It is a much more nasal, honkey sound that I think doesn't sound good. Just for the record, I actually DO boost my mids quite a bit. I just don't think that the ParaDriver is very musical sounding.

The M-80 sounds much better to my ears as far as clean tones go, but the distortion is pretty crappy. The EQ is fantasic, and the DI is very solid.

As far as distortion/overdrive goes, the BassDriver is far and away my favorite.

Of the three, I would rank them:
    1 - BassDriver
    2 - M-80
    3 - ParaDriver

5. Macher

Macher

Aug 29, 2006
    Montreal
    Really, i did search and didn't find much info on the M-80 :eyebrow: Can you post the link?

And the M-80 is a lot cheaper...

6. I can't find that megathread..?

7. bassman251

bassman251

Jan 30, 2007
    I put M-80 in search and got at least 10 pages if not more just on that.

8. Macher

Macher

Aug 29, 2006
    Montreal
    I did find 10 pages with the advanced search, but the normal search says M-80 is not 3 character long.:rollno:

I did play my Big Band rehearsal today with the SABDDI and hated it. The only sweet spot i found made my upright sound like a fretless...

Anybody tried the M-80 with upright?

TaySte_2000, the soudclip of the M-80 was no longer available, can you post it again?

Twice the price....

Thank you all!

9. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi

i have an older acoustic di, the predecesor to the para driver, the trick is to cut the mids, because the mids on the unit raise the gain structure, even with the mids cut, with the para part you can really dial in some sick tones:bassist:

10. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I use the M-80 or the SABDDI for upright bass and they both do a great job IMHO.
    The M-80 has a nice clean sound, i have the "color" activated which scoops the eq and sounds great. The mid EQ is subtle but tasteful.
    The SABDDI works fine also, I use the drive knob to add more grunt and helps cut through the mix.
    I think the M-80 is more suited for jazz and the BDDI for rock louder gigs.

11. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    isnt the paradriver and bassdriver the same thing, with just the additional footswitch??
    m-80 is well suited for rock too.. thats all i play. well, not really, thats what i try n think at least. lol

12. mav

mav

Jun 10, 2003
    I use the M-80 for rock also, i'm talking about upright bass in a quiet jazz combo but hey you could use either or neither or none. ;-b