Bass Drive vs. Wooly Mammoth

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Droog, Apr 29, 2004.

1. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    So I have read quite abit about both of these, but never a direct comparison. Maybey they are just way different. Anybody used em' both?
  2. sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    Zachary Vex has video clips of all of his pedals up, I believe. Fulltone had mp3s of their effects at one point. In truth, they are completely different beasts. The BD is an overdrive to medium distortion, the WM is more for heavy fuzz bass type stuff. Neither are poorly made, but they are so different that comparing them is really not easy. Take a listen to the clips, and read the reviews around the web and choose for yourself.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've used both. What sunburstbasser said, they're so different that's it not really an either / or choice. You could have both for different things. The zvex is really extreme, doesn't work so well with active basses though so that's worth bearing in mind. The fulltone is a great od/distortion pedal.
  4. Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    I have pretty good idea of what both are like and though I want a Wooly, I think the Bassdrive would be a better choice for me. Wish I could afford both. I think right now a godd OD would be better suited than a kick as fuzz tone, but some day, oh yes, someday a project will call for it.
  5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've got a Wooly. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY!!!! I can't stress that enough. It's a great pedal, but remember it's a FUZZ. Most bassists aren't used to hearing what a fuzz is supposed to sound like, so often times they hate it. I love mine, but it's not for everybody.

Dont' bother with the Wooly if you have an active bass. It just doesn't work right with low impedance signals.
  6. bassx

Apr 10, 2002
    N FW, TX
    I have a Bass Drive and it is an integral part of my sound. I always have in on set at a low level overdrive (on top of my Ampeg SVPs already slightly overdriven setting) and use the Boost set almost all the way up to "Fuzz" it up for certain passages or songs.

As mentioned before it is not "over the top" like some others may be, but it IS extremely musical, versatile, and not at all noisy. I also own a PD7 and a Russian Muff, but have never used them live because they are just not as warm sounding as my Bass Drive and can be very noisy at higher gain settings.

Just my $.02

Try them out and decide for yourself what works best for the application will use it for.
  7. murdermilk

Feb 5, 2004

Funny you mention both of these pedals in one post. As I type this, I am using a Russian Muff for fuzz sound. I find it doesn't break my signal up enough and it loses some bass, so I'm compensating by boosting lows and killing some highs with a PD7 in OD mode that I'm using to drive the Muff a little harder. This combination of 2 pedals gives me 3 radically different sounds based on what's on and what's off (4 if you count all clean), and I find all of them are useful.