Bass driver before pre amp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassampegman, Feb 4, 2005.

1. I am going through a road test of various Bass drivers running in front of my Ashdown ABM500 head.

TRIED: Tech 21 SABDDI

Hartke vxl

Fullton Bass driver

my question is should i turn my Ashdown pre amp drive to solid state in other words turn the pre amp tube option to out so its running all solid state or leave it IN with a little tube warmth and then hit it front end with the bass driver.

Ive also noticed a slight increase in input level to the amp so i need to watch this so i dont overload my input gain to the amp too much.

Im looking to turn on the bass driver mid song to fill out my sound during guitar solos so its not on all the time.

The Tech 21 was ok but it changed my already good amp tone too much by sucking the mids out, the SABDDI is outgoing and im awaiting arrival of the next bunch of pedals
  2. Matteran

Matteran Banned

Jan 1, 2005
    Santa Rosa, CA
    i run it into a tube pre-amp. I'm assuming that a tube emulator being warmed by tubes can't hurt. I love my BDDI
  3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    As you're running the ABM500 head I'm slightly puzzled as to why you want another preamp in front of it.
  4. Not looking for the pre amp as such but the overdrive feature, in fact thats why im going to try thr Fulltone Bass Driver.

Just wondered if it would sound better running the amp clean solid state and use the overdrive pedal as required or leave the amp running with the pre amp tube in and slight valve warmth and then kick in the bass driver ??
  5. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    Fair point. I can't help you then as I run a solid state amp only.
  6. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    If you find out you really like the BDDI's tone I suggest that you get a SansAmp RBI and switch to a power amp (you could do it for the price of a BDDI + you used head). I did about a month ago and couldn't be happier!

7. "leave it IN with a little tube warmth and then hit it front end with the bass driver."

I really like the sound of a tube preamp being hit hard with a strong signal.

I use my BOSS ME-50B with the Bass Driver setting to increase the signal going into the passive input on my SWR SM 900 with the tube preamp. I usually just kick it in for solos and certain parts and the signal comes alive.