1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass driver vs. Para driver vs. MXR M-80 DI's

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bigcardinal, Mar 25, 2006.

1. Hello all. First of all, I know that these sorts or discussions have occured many, many times on this site, and I have searched around alot, but they still didn't answer all my questions and I would love some fresh insight. I will outline below the pros (+) and cons (-) of these units as I understand them, please correct me if I am off-base. Here goes:

Bass Driver:
    + great tube emulation, often compared to classic SVT sound
    + seems to get unanimous praise...the "benchmark" DI
    - no mid control
    + - some talk about compression issues, often associated with tubes....some like it, others don't seem to (esp. mid issues)

Para Driver:
    + - not bass-specific: I don't know if this is good or bad, but means that it would work for, example, my ac. guitar as well...but does being the "jack of all trades" truly make this a "master of none" when it comes to bass tone?...I really don't know much about this DI

MXR M-80
    + has seperate distortion foot switch
    + has mid control
    + cheaper
    - reports on distortion are 50/50 (some like, some don't...at least it seems this way reading all the reviews)

...any and all comments greatly appreciated!! I am having a REALLY difficult time trying to decide on one!! Thanks

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    the paradriver works very well on bass. I can't here any difference in eq response

while you have summarised the pros / cons of each unit, you missed out the fact that the sansamps are 'all or nothing' i.e. you can't engage/disengage the od without doing the same to the eq.
    Since you've said nothing about what your requirements are, I don't know if that's a big thing to you or not. Do you want/need mid control? Do you want od or distortion? Do you want to be able to engage eq and drive/dist separately?

4. you know, david, the more I think about it, the versatility of switching options with the MXR just might make the decision a bit easier. I can definitely think of a few times when I would want to switch on the OD during a song, and would love not to have to fiddle around with the dials too much between songs at a gig as well. I play in a rock band (mostly modern stuff) at the moment, but occasionally play folk rock, alt country, and with a bluegrass group. I have a fender P and a Yorkville xm200t amp...just looking for something to give some different tonal variations to my simplistic and fairly non-versatile set up. You guys think the MXR is a good choice then??