Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Drum Help

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ndjx, Jan 2, 2003.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I just got a drumset for Christmas :D . Now correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you need a port (or hole) in the bass drum to mic it. I know some don't have this and some do (why?). Anyways, my question is how do I go about putting a hole in the bass drum and where is the best placement? I notice most that do have the hole towards the bottom right. Any drummers out there help me? Thanks.

2. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
  3. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    They just did this at my church. They made a hole in the head by heating up a small coffee can on the stove and used it to burn right through the head. Voilla, a perfect circle. Don't burn yourself!!

I think they did it on the lower right as well. I guess it depends upon the mike stand.

4. You make the hole to project the drum more I believe. Although, placing the mic in different spot inside and out will create a slightly different sound.

You can buy bass drum heads with the hole already there for you if you don't feel like making the hole yourself, they are about $15 to $30 I think.

5. cheeseman

cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    There are these things called ring-o's that are made specifically for putting a hole in bass drum heads. Just check the drum accessories section of stores or catalogs, there's probably something to that effect.

As to the placement, it really doesn't matter as to where, I've seen as many as 3 holes cut in a head for miking. Though a hole in the center will feel much different than one off to the side, IME. The hole also reduces the overtone, by not letting the heads vibrate because most of the air is pushed out, so you get a better kick.

If you don't want to buy something, just get maybe a peanut can or CD and use a utility knife, that's what I've done in the past. Just make sure to pay attention to avoid jagged edges and cut fingers.

Hope this helps.

6. There's a product called Holz that's pretty popular these days. It's a chrome ring. You cut the underside of the head according to a template, then you install a plastic ring. Then you put the chrome one on the outside over the ring so it looks really slick. I've heard that you shouldn't put the hole dead center for some reason--most people put it a bit off-center. Here's a link to a photo of the Holz; Guitar Center or any drum shop should carry them too.

http://www.explorersdrums.com/product2936.html

7. Here's a pic of my kick drum with the Holz ring:
    [​IMG]

8. My drummer has his on the lower left. When u position drum mics it is often good to have it left or right of center (on the inside) pointing towards the beaters. Aka Left/right of center to the beaters.

So therefore having a hole in either the left or right will project the sound more. ;)

:D:D

Merls

9. Don't cut a hole in the head, just learn how to tune it and mic it properly. I know that a lot of people use heads with holes in them to get the mic inside the drum. If you want a flat, non-resonating sound this will work fine. What you sacrifice is the ability of the head to resonate properly.

If you want a deep, full, bass drum tone try this:
    · Tune both heads to the same pitch, preferably as low as possible but still able to get a good long resonating tone.
    · Roll up a small towel and place it against the batter head (the head that you strike with the beater) to take out just a little of the overtones.
    · Place the mic about 4-6 inches in front of the drumhead halfway between the bottom and the middle.
    You may have to fiddle around with it to get the sound that’s right for you, but in the end you will get a much better sound.

You can also consider using what’s called a “woofer”, which is a larger 26”-28” diameter bass drum that is usually 10”-12” inches wide. DW offers them for their kits, but they are very expensive. There is a cheaper alternative. Check around used musical instrument stores or pawnshops for old marching band bass drums. Just set that sucker in front of your bass drum and presto, instant low, deep, killer bass drum tone.

10. my drummer does not like to cut holes in his bass drum head,but for isolation when mic-ing, it's nesessary..he's now looking at having a mic mounted inside so he can use two heads the way he wants(someone makes mounts for this and there's an xlr plug mounted right in the side of the drum)...BTW my drummer uses a 26in.dia. x 16in.deep bass drum :eek: talk about BIG!!!!

11. MAY microphones makes a very nice internal mic system.