Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Dvds for absolute beginners

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Elliot Smith, Jul 18, 2005.

1. Elliot Smith

Elliot Smith

Apr 29, 2005
    hey guys can you recommend me some good instructional dvds to teach how to play the bass. I am a absolute beginner at bass....

2. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Make yuor homework kid,make a search in the net,good starting point is the Hal Leonard tablatures books.

3. +1 for Hal Leonard.

When I started, I picked up a bass for beginners book by H.L, and it was very, very good. Explained everything nicely, in detail, with music and tab.

I recently picked up a Bass Groove dictionary that carries the Leonard logo, which is also quite handy for a new player trying to broaden their horizons.

The two books I picked up have audio CD only, but they were very informative and have helped me no end, starting from scratch.

4. TheNerdBass

TheNerdBass

Jun 30, 2005
    Detroit, MI
    Just go to a guitar store and check em out! Just look at the back and make sure it has what you need. You probably don't need anything with slap & pop, yet.

5. audiotom

audiotom

May 31, 2005
    new orleans
    The Hal Leonard DVD Bass Method with Ed Friedland is very good and there are three books (they sell as one also) to go along with it

The Hal Leonard "Play Bass Today" is pretty good and will have you working more

Billy Shehan has some new bass books but I have not seen these

later the Accelerate Your Bass Playing dvd by Anthony Vitti is good as you progress

the Alfred DVD with the guy from Blue Oyster Cult is awful

Rockin Grooves from Berklee is terrible - stay away

go to bassbooks.com for plenty of suggestions
    they have reviews of a lot of titles

http://www.bassbooks.com/shopping/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=198&cat=DVD

enjoy picking up the bass

also find a teacher - well worth it on the mechanics

Tom

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    and also in this days you have internet conection,i wish have internet with i come to start with the bass,but in this days the internet have a tons of pages with tons of instructors and lessons totally free for you,hey dude,start searching,example,tip in google,bass lessons or begginer bass,is easy for you today not for me 8 years ago :meh:

7. greg

greg

Jun 1, 2004
    Austin,Tx

Hey um your name should have a another T in it. But anyways damn good songwriter and guitar player. I also reccomend the hal leonard books and dvd's.

8. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound