bass effect in song 2 by blur

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sidhk817, Mar 26, 2005.

1. how can i get his distorted/fuzzed bass tone??
    which effect can get close???

thx very much
  2. plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I've never played that song but a friend of mine used to play with an EBS MultiDrive and the sound was really nice...
    Anyway... SansAmp rulez... :cool:
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im pretty sure its a ProCo Rat.

You can also hear one on Breed, Endless Nameless, and a few other Nirvana tracks. Also check out a band from Luiseville, Kentucky, USA- Coliseum. They use it a lot.

I have one comming to me on April 1st. :cool:
  4. I play it in a band, i use a EHX Big Muff. Sounds good.
  5. gotta agree with the Ice-Man on the sansamp comment, its ace
  6. liquid-dream,
    if it really is a muff,would it be a russian or USA RI by the sound,
    and btw,is that the RAT sucks the bottom end a lot?
  7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Sansamp is good but its not the same. I own a Sansamp and I bought a Rat to get that sound.

Its not a Big Muff either, but the Big Muff is nice, just different.

The Rat sucks some bottom, but its still useable. Its best if you do a modification to the pedal so that it doesnt suck any bottom.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I played that song for a couple years in a cover band. I never used a pedal of any kind.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I read on one of the gear sites (can't remember which one) that it is a Marshall ShredMaster. I am fairly certain that for the album they mix some clean bass with the distorted sound. There is too much bottom end for a guitar pedal.

Really, any heavy distortion sounds great. A PhatHead for example, or even a ODB3 will work in a pinch.

Also, remember to tune down. I use drop D since I am too lazy to tune down all the strings.

This is my signature song for long and complicated reasons related to the "Woo hoo" and the metal references. I use the most evil distortion I have available. I want it to be "over the top".
  10. When I first started playing that song live, I would just dig in harder for the chorus and bridge parts. I could get a nice fuzz just using my P-Bass and my fingers - mind you, I was using a miked Fender Bassman 25 as my amp (volume set at 10, of course!).

I am older and somewhat wiser now - the Sansamp does the trick nicely for all my OD needs. :)
  11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Boss Bass Overdrive with a little Boss SuperPhaser..Nails it.

12. I don'T know what pedal they use on the original, sorry. The (russian) muff is just what i use.