1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

bass effect in song 2 by blur

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sidhk817, Mar 26, 2005.

1. how can i get his distorted/fuzzed bass tone??
    which effect can get close???

thx very much

2. plasson

plasson

Mar 21, 2005
    I've never played that song but a friend of mine used to play with an EBS MultiDrive and the sound was really nice...
    Anyway... SansAmp rulez... :cool:

3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im pretty sure its a ProCo Rat.

You can also hear one on Breed, Endless Nameless, and a few other Nirvana tracks. Also check out a band from Luiseville, Kentucky, USA- Coliseum. They use it a lot.

I have one comming to me on April 1st. :cool:

4. I play it in a band, i use a EHX Big Muff. Sounds good.

5. gotta agree with the Ice-Man on the sansamp comment, its ace

6. liquid-dream,
    if it really is a muff,would it be a russian or USA RI by the sound,
    and btw,is that the RAT sucks the bottom end a lot?

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Sansamp is good but its not the same. I own a Sansamp and I bought a Rat to get that sound.

Its not a Big Muff either, but the Big Muff is nice, just different.

The Rat sucks some bottom, but its still useable. Its best if you do a modification to the pedal so that it doesnt suck any bottom.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I played that song for a couple years in a cover band. I never used a pedal of any kind.

-Mike

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I read on one of the gear sites (can't remember which one) that it is a Marshall ShredMaster. I am fairly certain that for the album they mix some clean bass with the distorted sound. There is too much bottom end for a guitar pedal.

Really, any heavy distortion sounds great. A PhatHead for example, or even a ODB3 will work in a pinch.

Also, remember to tune down. I use drop D since I am too lazy to tune down all the strings.

This is my signature song for long and complicated reasons related to the "Woo hoo" and the metal references. I use the most evil distortion I have available. I want it to be "over the top".

10. When I first started playing that song live, I would just dig in harder for the chorus and bridge parts. I could get a nice fuzz just using my P-Bass and my fingers - mind you, I was using a miked Fender Bassman 25 as my amp (volume set at 10, of course!).

I am older and somewhat wiser now - the Sansamp does the trick nicely for all my OD needs. :)

11. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    Boss Bass Overdrive with a little Boss SuperPhaser..Nails it.

Slug

12. I don'T know what pedal they use on the original, sorry. The (russian) muff is just what i use.