1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass effect newb..looking for a specific sound (fuzz/overdrive)?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by soma89, Mar 31, 2009.

1. soma89

soma89

Jan 7, 2006
    Toronto, Canada
    Hey,
    I play in a folk/rock band and am looking for a slightly fuzzy tone. I don't want anything heavy (like a big muff) or anything that would make my bass sound like a lead guitar. I'm thinking of a slightly overloaded mic tone... something light, but with some slight fuzzy character. I'm looking for a sound to fit acoustic songs rather than a hard rockin song.

I play a 69' Harmony H22/1 with flatwounds through a ampeg b100r. It's a very bassy woody tone, and i'm hoping for somehting that also preserves those qualities. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot

2. Bassenstien

Bassenstien

Jun 13, 2006
    Mississippi
    Sansamp or VT mabey. Good overdrive tones (ive never used a VT though).

3. Duck off & Fie

Duck off & Fie Banned

Mar 30, 2009
  4. +1 to both those suggestions.

The Tech 21 VTbass has far more tonal options though. Whats your budget?

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I think the Boss HM-2 Heavy Metal with the gain turned right down fits that description also. Can be picked up dirt cheap too.

6. TheMutt

TheMutt Guest

Apr 28, 2007
    The VT Bass would probably be great to go along with your amp, or a pedal with a blend like the Sparkle Drive.
    [shameless plug :bag:]There's also the Jekyll and Hyde which is another TS808 with a bass boost and has a distortion as well, the Boss BD-2 Blues driver which is a light overdrive, and the Bass Blowtorch which is a fuzz/overdrive with a clean blend.[/shameless plug :bag:]

edit: Oh yeah, There's also the Polish Love/Bogdan Helter Skelter/'Lil Jovi which is a Way Huge Red Llama clone. Gets a lot of love/hate on here.

7. tomhanzo

tomhanzo

Apr 20, 2008
    West Virginia
    the electro harmonix Hot Tubes can do this with the right tubes and settings

8. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Based on your description, you're definitely not looking for fuzz. I'll back the VT Bass for some light to heavy overdrive.