1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bass Effect on Ginuwine's Song "Pony"?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kdogg, Aug 29, 2007.

1. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    I'm sure this is out there somewhere, did a couple searches with no luck. Does anyone know what effect the bass player is using on the song "Pony", by Ginuwine? Sounds like a synth/envelope follower, not sure, maybe it is a straight synth. I really love that sound, and think it could work on a couple of the covers we do. The song is on youtube:

Thanks guys! :bassist:

2. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    pretty sure it's a synth, but if you would like to play it on a bass, probably an envelope filter or bass synth would be the way to go.

3. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    Yeah I'm pretty sure its a synth as Timbaland produced it. Awesome sound though.

4. kdogg

kdogg

Nov 13, 2005
    Ohio
    Thanks guys! Listening to some sound clips on line, various pedals, the electro harmonix bass micro synth seems to get closest. Checking ebay as I type...

+1000

5. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    The Digitech Bass Synth Wah actually has a whole mode dedicated to this vocal sound. It'll get the sound for you no problem, and will cost you about $50 second hand.

Edit: Here's the link to the sounclip. Just click on the thing that says "Bass Ya". Obviously it doesn't sound exactly the same on the clip, but you can alter the settings to change the basic sound while retaining the main characteristic of the "Ya" which will get you much closer.

6. speak_onion

speak_onion

Jun 22, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, I haven't heard the song since it was new, but if I remember it correctly (and I think I do, because that Bass sound stuck in my head), it was definately a very vocal sound. I was going to suggest the Boss AW3 "Humanizer" mode set to a-o or a-u. Maybe an octave before it, because I think it's a really low bass.

I haven't played the BSW, but its vocal filters might be the ticket as well, and it has the octave built-in, I hear.

The EHX Bassballs is often described as a vocal-sounding filter, but it won't do that sound.