1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

BASS EFFECTS:: Help Searching need experts

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gprattwork7, Dec 8, 2011.

1. gprattwork7

gprattwork7

Oct 5, 2011
    Hey,
    i just started playing an active ibanez sr405 and am getting used to that kinda hollow mid scooped tone, i just threw some chrome flats on cause i'm in a reggae rock band and love the deep feel, im having trouble getting the fat punchy tone im after and dont want to get too tangled in all the wrong pedals. its deep but no zing, doesnt cut through too much and im currently stuck with 2 x 10in solid state fender 350w.

i'm looking for a way to sustain fat punchy bass flexible enough to play some chords still on the high end( maybe by eq is wrong, i try to boost bass n mids n leave the treble close to flat. a little under), and maybe find a pedal that i could swith to for cool tapping or chord playing? any advice or help would be amazing, cause im starting to think i should switch back to nickels.

2. weeeell...flats ARE a bit wrong choice i think....gonna get muddy pretty damn soon...but either way,consider parametric EQ,or maybe mxr m80/sansamp bddi,hence you can colour the sound just the way you like it-mids scooped.i use the colour switch on mxr m80 for that particular reason,and it works great.in fact,it's never 'off'

3. gprattwork7

gprattwork7

Oct 5, 2011
    bump

4. gprattwork7

gprattwork7

Oct 5, 2011
    thanks man, i just dont wanna worry about changing my nickels all the time, i dont slap or anything too much in fact its mainly reggae, and classic rock sound, i rap a bit and i wanna kinda find my thing on bass and thats the phunk, i love to groove up and i like tapping and hammering melodic lines here and there, so im definatly looking into a driver for a better over all sound cause this bass is much more dull but easy to play than the pbass ( small hands)

if i were to switch back would you suggest a driver and nickel lo riders or nickel xls?

5. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Personally I'd go the other way around - have a clean, clear tone (I'd go back to nickle rounds) for doing the chords and tapping and then use a pedal for the deep sounds.

Something like the Iron Ether Xerograph (non-deluxe version) would let you drop the highs and get a real dark, dubby sound whenever you wanted.

6. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I would try a graphic EQ (MXR 10 band EQ for example) to fine tune your tone.
    You can also use the pedal to boost your signal pre amp.