Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Effects...Please Help!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SynthBassHead, Apr 10, 2002.

1. SynthBassHead

SynthBassHead

Apr 10, 2002
    Fellow Bass Players...
    I am in a band that is trying to produce what you might hear on electronic BreakBeat and Drum & Bass tracks. However, I am having trouble decicing what effects Im going to buy for this. There is a particular sound on the Jamiroqui song "supersonic", that I want to re-produce. Does anyone know what it is? And can anyone give advice on good-tracking synth bass effects racks or pedals???????? Are the line 6 POD OR BossGT3B any good? BassBalls??? Q-Tron??? Micro Synth???????????
    Thanks all!

2. 2pods

2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    Scotland
    Try an Akai "Deep Impact" bass synth pedal.
    Everything you could want.
    The only bad thing about it is, you must use fingerstyle or plectrum.
    It won't track slapping

3. pudgefactor

pudgefactor

Mar 28, 2002
    Boston
    Check out the new Boss GT-6B multi-effect pedal because I tried it out and they had some cool techno and house beat settings for playing. I'm not advocating buying it, but you can check out the sounds you like, then see exactly what effects they are using to create those sounds.

4. SynthBassHead

SynthBassHead

Apr 10, 2002
    Today I tried the Deep Impact. I found only about half the sounds tracked spot on, the rest sort of lagged behind, especially when I would slide on a string. I am still waiting for the GT6B to arrive in a shop, so Ill try that next. I also tried the boss SY3B synth pedal......(rubbish)....and DOD envelope filter...(COOL). Thanks for yer help guys. Cheers.....
    Matt

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Octaver + envelope filter + fuzz = all you need for a great synth sound

6. fuzz + chorus / flanger + touch-wah can do VERY funky stuff :D

7. That MadSubwoofer is a genious! Didn't he start that? :p

8. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Yep, I owe my synth sound to him! :D

I have seen the light... keep it analog!

9. Sheesh...like my head wasn't big enough already! What's that? Another picture of my trusty dub machine? What a ham,eh? (just ignore the digital content in the lower left,ok?)
    ;)

[​IMG]

10. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    ERASERHEAD!!!!

:p (I'm just jealous of your rig!)

11. This is the synth effect I really want to try...analog too!

[​IMG]

I love using EV filters for subharmonic blooms (DOD) or for extreme re-constructing of my bass sound. Big Feet has experiance with that I beleive. He tried this box too! Tell us again BF!

12. Hold your enthusiasm, it's as digital as the Boss SYB-3, just simple to use, great sound for a digital pedal though. I recomend it as a one trick pony personally. It gets these great 80's keyboard bass sounds in the light setting (like they say) and the tracking is very impressive...

13. Nooooooo!!! I thought it was analog. Actually, ALL new stompboxes will be digital excepting the handmade jobbies. Shoulda known...
    How can that box have a digital synth effect that allows for you to play chords, etc.? No super deep dub tones for me? Please?

14. Mohawk Freak

Mohawk Freak

Mar 8, 2002
    London
    The other tonelok stuff's digital (except for the digital delay, duh!). I recon the analogue stompbox will survive in mass market form. I mean, just look at vinyl! Niche market. There are enough of us out there to fight the cause!

Up the revolution brothers!!!:rolleyes:

15. Yes you get your dub tricks in this pedal, like I said the light synth produces those low fidelity key board bass sounds. I hate to use this as an example but the keyboard tracks on No Doubt's (or should I say Gwen Steffani and Band's :mad: ) Hey Baby sourt of sound like the light synth on this pedal.

16. SynthBassHead

SynthBassHead

Apr 10, 2002
    yipyipyipyipyipyipyipyip
    Got an envelope filter for free! Sexual favours go a long way! NO NO.....a friend just didnt want it anymore.....excellent! Im going to try the Ibenez synth pedal today. Analogue 80's sounds are what I NEED! What does MR SUB... have in that Jpeg (effects wise?) . Thanking you all again in helping me on my road to fat anolgue tones.

17. Careful what you ask for.....!

[​IMG]

What EV filter did you get anyhoo? Give us a FULL review on that Ibanez ok??

18. I'd say that if you are willing to spend the money, get the Roland V-bass. Excellent tracking, and great synth + other sounds and options as well of course.

19. You're not insinuating that I consider reducing my beautiful rich, rippely warm analogue bass tone into a BUNCH OF 1's AND 0's are you?!? I thought not.
    :D :p :D