Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Effects Primer....Please Post

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by doc540, Aug 30, 2003.

1. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Having never before used any type of effects with my '69 Jazz, I'm interested in learning the basics about bass effects.

I'm currently playing a large dose of blues/rock (ala ZZTop, Ronnie Earl, Jeff Healey, Joe Bonamassa) and classic rock, and recently I've been gigging in a situation which calls for trio work when the keyboard player steps out.

I've been playing a limited number of chords and plenty of octaves to fill the bottom.

Perhaps I missed something during my search here, but could those of you with effects experience post a simple primer in what effects (if any) might apply to my situation: carrying the bottom with tone improvements during guitar solos in a trio?

Much appreciated.

doc

JBass
    Yamaha PB-1
    Yamaha P3200

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, when I play in a trio, I run a two-amp configuration, or a clean signal into the PA and a distorted out of my stack. The clean signal generally retains the low end while I use a Big Muff Pi to act as a rhythm guitar.

That way you can say you play bass and rhythm guitar at the same time.

It also works with two amps, a clean signal into one, and dirty into another. Sometimes, I just run completely dirty, and I'm rambling on again. Did I answer your question?

3. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Yeah, that's new information to me and kind of what I'm looking for.

But since I'm currently only playing through one amp it doesn't quite fit my needs. I do have an effects loop in the PB-1 if that factors in.

And thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking to learn the basics here and begin experimenting.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Well, my advice would be to maybe get a Splitter before the fuzz pedal, run half the signal dirty and recombine it after the fuzz. Or, just run a signal that's distorted, but not too dirty.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    There are alot of bass oriented effects that allow you to blend your wet/dry mix on them, and retain your original tone. You don't necessarily need two amps if you set your pedals up right. Boss makes some decent bass pedals that you could augment your sound pretty cheaply with.

You may want to look into: overdrive, chorus, and an octave pedal. Having just those three will fill up alot of space pretty quickly.

6. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Thanks! Starting with a couple of pedals sounds like the way to go.

7. [3]

[3]

Aug 18, 2003
    Brisbane, Australia
    do you want something that that will enhance your tone or drastically change it..

if you want to enhance it, i'd be looking at an octave pedal, a chorus,an additional eq pedal, a nice overdrive, or a delay/reverb..

if you want to drastically change it, i'd be looking at a fuzz pedal, a bass wah, synth bass + envelope filters..

personally, i'd first get a nice overdrive, then a chorus/modulation pedal, then an octave pedal..
    if you need more coloration, i'd then look at a wah + a fuzz..
    wah and fuzz in combination can make a very full + phat bottom..

above all, make sure you get quality pedals that sound good with YOUR rig..
    poor quality pedals will suck the tone out of your purdy bass...
    cheers
    Pete

8. doc540

doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I'm guessing "enhancement".

When the lead player solos in a blues/rock trio, I want to make sure he has the rock of Gibraltar supporting him.

9. Try the MXR Microamp. For under $100 this thing offers about 35db of gain. I got it to boost up my sound during guitar solos and when I needed that extra kick.

Check it out, it colors the sound a little, but i really like the tone. I think it mostly keeps the character of the SD Antiquities in my Jazz bass, but just boosts the bottom and overall gain.