Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASS EFFECTS vs. NEW PICKUPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by madvip, Oct 15, 2000.

1. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    Hello there.

I play in a rock band, and i feel the need to improve the sound of my bass. Due to budget limitations i have to choose between BASS EFFECTS and NEW PICKUPS. What do you suggest me to invest on?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    What kind of bass/pickups do you have? My first guess is gonna be new pickups.

3. puppeteering

puppeteering

Mar 16, 2000
    Looking at your profile, I'd bet a new amp is going to make the biggest difference in your sound.

The sound of the bass tends to like power, and along with extra watts comes a cleaner, punchier, more dynamic (not to mention LOUDER) bass sound. A new amp may not have as much flexibility as a new multi-effect processor, but your sound will definitely be BIGGER, FULLER, and overall MORE IMPACTFUL with a larger amp.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I would definitely agree with the last post - 25w is not enough for bass to compete with any sort of drummer. You will undoubtedly be getting nasty solid state distortion and any effect will only make this worse. Pickups might improve the sound, but without a decent amp, they will be a waste of time. Save your money for the amp.

5. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    You're all right that with 25W i do nothing. I use it when we practise together in a garage and keep the volumes low. However i'm also thinking to upgrade the amp too. Are 60W sufficient?

6. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Whoa... 25W? 60W? What kind of a band are you in? I have 240W and I really need every bit of them playing with my drummer (also competing with a guitarist with a JCM900 and a 4x12 cab). I use to think that for playing in a band, an amp of at least 100W is required. Then you just may manage on eventual minor gigs - you'll never make it with a 60W amp. Of course, that depends on how much power loss there is in the speaker (and the character of the gig), but in general, the more power the better. (You can always lower the volume but you can't, or at least shouldn't crank the volume knob over 10.)

7. get a traynor Yba-3, the most power for the price range. Look on ebay (they are from the 60's and 70's), you will love it!

Then get new pickups