Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BASS EFFECTS vs. NEW PICKUPS

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by madvip, Oct 15, 2000.

1. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    Hello there.

I play in a rock band, and i feel the need to improve the sound of my bass. Due to budget limitations i have to choose between BASS EFFECTS and NEW PICKUPS. What do you suggest me to invest on?

2. What pickups do you have now? and what type of sound exactly do you go for?

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Is your bass active or passive? If it's passive,you could buy a Sadowsky outboard preamp. Don't own one myself but have had a few and they make just about any bass sound 100% better.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    OOOPS!

I mean I have "heard" a few and they do wonders for passive electronics.

5. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    I have passive electronics.

A friend told me to aim on a graphic equilizer

6. Craig H

Craig H

Mar 23, 2000
    Kansas City
    I second that emotion! I use my Sadowsky Outboard Preamp to fatten up all my passive basses. I highly recommend one!

Craig

7. Well, do you want to replace your pickups? Are they not working well or something? If they are fine, leave them and buy distortion.

Distortion GOOOOOOOOOD!!

Rock on
    Eric

8. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Here's my take. I don't use Bass effects at all but that's me. If your desired tone is a more traditional,natural sound then better pickups are the choice. But if you prefer a highly processed tone where the benefit of a new pickup's extra clarity, or thump (or whatever) is masked by distortion, or chorus (or whatever) then the effects are the way to go.
    I like traditional but there's lots of other cool tones out there...otherwise nobody would buy a SWR Mo'Bass.

9. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    Suppose I'm interested in the effects. Now i still have to upgrade my amp. What power do you suggest? I mean, do bass effects require a high power rating amp?

10. Sorry madvip, but you have to ask that question over in the amps forum. This is pickups, not equipment. I don't want to lay down the heavy end of the hammer or anything, but this doesn't fit here.

Rock on
    Eric

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

How do you know that anybody has! ;)

12. As a general rule of thumb, the pickups in most basses are fine. As stated, a passive bass (no battery) will benefit from an onboard preamp such as Sadowsky, Aguilar, Moon or Seymour Duncan. If you want to add some grind to your sound, a SansAmp Bass DI is the goods. If you have an active bass, unless it's an expensive one, you will almost always find the onboard preamp is crap. This is because asian manufacturers (yes, even most budget US basses are built in asia) install cheap rubbish electronics as a way of keeping the cost down. If you have an active one and you like it, a Seymour Duncan, Bartolini or similar preamp is the way to go. The comment on the Sansamp applies here also.

13. I forgot to mention that most of the above preamps are available as an outboard option if you dont want to modify your bass. Just plug in and play. If you want a punk distortion, a DOD or Boss Bass Overdrive pedal will do it.

14. madvip

madvip

Sep 26, 2000
    Marty Forrer, my friend told me that some bass effects (I think a brand name was called ZOOM) have preamps in them. Are these the same you mentioned above or something else? I have passive electronics.

15. pinkfloyd16

pinkfloyd16

Oct 25, 2000
    hey does any one out there know how i can bettermy tone on my samick 5 string its passive and has 3 knobs volume which is sorta tied in with bass and a treble and a wierd middle know which blends all of them would having a active or putting a active thingy on it make i t sound better and would it be hard to do it myself how much would it cost and where can i find one or what should i do