Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Effects (Wah & Distortion)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by al_25401, Jan 12, 2005.

1. al_25401

al_25401

Jan 9, 2005
    Australia
    I've only been playing bass :bassist: for 18 months and am looking for some good effects. I wanna know what effects setup you've got and what you would recommend for me. I was planning to get a bass wah and a distortion pedal but am not completely sure what to buy. Or should i look for a multi-fx board. Any fx that are essential can you please help me out. :help:

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

That's a lot in a single question.
    I suggest browsing this forum, especially the pedalboard and effect list threads. It will give you a good idea of what people like.

3. well, for someone who wants to get into effects, i would suggest a multi-FX kit...that way you can see what effects do to your bass. then you can get a better idea of what you want.

4. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    DOD 250> Morley PBA-2 sounds pretty good. im having issues with my wah though

5. Gomex

Gomex

Jan 7, 2005
    Australia
    Mini Q, Big Muff, Boss OD, Cry baby bass wah, Digi tech X-serias bass synth wah. I'd say wah or distortion are the safest effects for a person just getting into them, try an auto wah, they are cool, easy to use and can be quite cheap

6. matt ramey

matt ramey

Dec 11, 2004
    for distortion, muffs & boss dist really muddies up your sound. ive found that the line 6 dm4 sounds much better on bass. instead of distorting the entire sound, it almost sounds like theres a layer of fuzz coating it. its incredibles sounding.

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use a vintage Morley PWB- can be had on the 'Bay for $100.

Ted

8. Budonze

Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    wow, i lurk here like crazy but never post... oh well

i agree on the distortions and wah as being the safest for a beginner. i jsut got a fulltone bass drive, its expensive but fif you knwo what kidn of overdrive sound your looking for then it could work, big muffs are fun too but tend to eat up low end

hey tedintheshed, do you know where to get the bulbs for the PWB, i just bought one on ebay and it needs a bulb for it, the morley 387 bulb, its a telray model. BTW, i got a good deal on it too, $49

9. al_25401

al_25401

Jan 9, 2005
    Australia
    Ok, thanks everyone

10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    That's a great deal.

You can order the bulbs through Morley- I think you get 4 for $12. Also, that is a pretty common bulb so most electronics shops should have them.

Ted

11. I have a Boss Bass Distortion. I like it alot and it's right for the type of music i use it on. Some people hate it though...it dpeneds on your taste. Although I've never played one personally, alot of people like the Big Muff Pi. You can always shell out a couple hundred bucks and get one of those really really nice distortions...but for a cheap price the two above are pretty good for the money.

12. Budonze

Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    thanks ted! ill check out the electronic shops tommorow, i dont think il need 4 and the only place i saw them had them for 4 for 19$ US, by the time it gets here it will be close to like 50 bucks CDN

13. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    check out a boss v-wah

it models like 7 different wahs, and has built in VOICE sound which makes vowel sounds and it has has an over drive level which goes from like a blues driver all the way to a metal zonee