Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dr_Trundlebush, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Dr_Trundlebush

Dr_Trundlebush

Apr 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Hi guys,

Been playing bass for about a year or so off and on (self taught) and haven't really used any effects yet. So far I haven't heard anything that I like as far as effects pedals go. What do you guys think are decent bass effects pedals or units? Also I have a few guitar effects pedals I was wondering if it is safe to try them on my bass through the bass amp just to see how it sounds. Thanks,

- Dr T

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  3. Dr_Trundlebush

Dr_Trundlebush

Apr 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Great thanks man. Didn't see it. New here still finding my way around these hallowed halls. Thanks for the tip off.

- Dr T

4. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Moved to Effects forum. You'll get more responses here :)

5. Dr_Trundlebush

Dr_Trundlebush

Apr 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Great. Thanks Pete. :) Nice to have mods roaming the place. Really starting to like it here. Anyway in reference to my previous question and to give you an idea of what I think cool sounds like, I would like to add that I really like Sting's bass sound when he was with the police also there is a distortion type effect on the bass in Jamiroquai's song "Deeper underground". I wondered what was used for that. If anyone wants to give me a brief lesson on whats good on bass effectswise in terms of brand names even that would be helpful. I want to make an informed decision before I go and buy bass effects. I'm wondering about things like, is it more cost efficient to get a bass effects unit rather then a whole bunch of pedals? Or is it better to get individual pedals etc.. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks guys,

- Dr T

6. Char-Lee

Char-Lee

Aug 29, 2002
    Spokane, WA
    Some of my favorite effects pedals are from EBS. They make a whole line of dedicated bass effects units. However these are kind of pro so you'll spend a bit more but for a better effect. Digitech makes some great starter style multi-FX processors like the BP50, BP80, BP200 each one has a tuner on it and a built in drum machine to practice along to. They range from $79 - $149. If you've never played with effects alot this might be the way to go, it will give you an idea of what effects you like and dislike.

7. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Hey man, welcome home!
    If you're considering individual boxes do a search for synths (look out deep impact, korg g5 and digitech synth wah) with any of those you should be able to find something close to that Jamiroquai sound- rumour has it, it was done with a boss multi fx-, but it may even be a keyboard).
    Compressors are practically a seperate wesite in itself. you'll be lost for days if you search on them.
    For overdrive theres the sticky above but look for posts on Fulltone bass drive, Sansamp bass Di, Boss ODB3, DoD- 250 theres an ebs beast that is on the tip of my tongue.
    Top companies, ebs, electroharmonix, akai, fulltone, MXR, Tech 21, Guyatone ...Boss, DOD and Digitech do some good value dependable stuff- but with all of these there are more dogs than there are princesses- it's all in your ear.
    that should give you some food for thought. though.

8. Dr_Trundlebush

Dr_Trundlebush

Apr 23, 2004
    Melbourne
    Yeah certainly a lot of food for thought there. :) Thanks guys you've been a lot of help. I've seen a lot of those brands mentioned around so I might go have a play on some units in the store and see what I like.

- Dr T

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Here's a effects shopping tip for you.

Go in every pawn shop u can, i've found some great pedals in them. There nothing like having a pedal thats older you.

BTW I've heard some guy play deeper underground perfectly with the digitech synth wah (Not the bass one).

For Sting tones have a look for chorus and flanger pedals. I got an 80's flanger pedal the other month from a pawn shop and some of the features are better then whats out today.

Remeber the rule for buying and trying pedals is if it's shiny, colourful or old you just gotta try it :D

Hope this helps