Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass Effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cpcsg, Aug 23, 2003.

1. cpcsg

cpcsg

Aug 13, 2003
    Modesto, Ca
    I've just started playing bass. Played guitar many years. I was wondering what kind of effects pedals are primarily being used with bass. I play mostly rock with some alt. and top 40 as well. I've looked at the Boss ODB3 Overdrive for distortion and I've seen the Aphex Bass Xciter Pedal. Anyone use these and how are they? I mainly want some more punch and liveliness in my sound, especially when our single guitar player solos, I need a good punchy sound to do the fills.....appreciate any and all comments

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I use the Boss DOB-3 and like it.

3. cpcsg

cpcsg

Aug 13, 2003
    Modesto, Ca
    cool....what type of music do you play? And what range of dist. can u achieve with it? Meaning from very light to hard grunge?

I will go to my local store and hear it first hand but want some real user comments first...

thanks

4. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    You could try the search function, there are many threads on the ODB-3 pedal.

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I think bass players primarily use compression, some overdrive, and a bit of chorus. Most bassists don't use more than that.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    You might wanna try out chorus or an octaver for filling out sound, more so octaver for filling in the holes durong solo's. you could then play higher register lines, and still keep the bass going. I use one for playing 'Friends' by Satch, needs an emense sounding bass.

7. CPL

CPL

Aug 24, 2003
    New England Area. USA
    I prefer to use Boss effects, simply because of their reliability and simplicity of use. I use or have used chorus, flanger, and/or phaser. I have use distortion from time to time as well. My main sound for the most part as been chorus.

8. Wheres the TB Effects wizkid?? Ohh Freaky Fender, here boy.

Anyways, the Dunlop wah pedals are nice, for a good distortion the Ibanez TS9 (and TS9DX) are both really good.

9. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I've always just went to the music store, found a bass, head, and cab combo closs to what I play at home and sit there for 2 hours trying stuff out and see what I like. Right now I use a multi effects pedal which is o.k. I have multiple sounds from one pedal...it works for me.

10. Personally, if you want to fill up some space when a guitar player solo, i would reccomend an overdrive pedal, and an octaver

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like dunlop wahs, they are nice. I plan on buying a boss chorus and delay asap.

12. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    These four should cover just about anything:

Octave divider
    Envelope filter
    Distortion/Overdrive
    Chorus or Flange (or both)

I don't consider compression an effect. Good Luck!

13. cpcsg

cpcsg

Aug 13, 2003
    Modesto, Ca
    Well I went to the music store today and solved my own problem....I didn't want to limit my sound to one effect so just bought the Digitech BP200 Bass Modeling Processor....WOW this thing is wonderful...has all the sounds I want and then some......

14. JV1080

JV1080 Banned

Jul 10, 2006
    I use "Suck Up" effects. They're so two faced.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs