bass electronics blues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Samie, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    My bass sounds great direct, I can get most of the sounds I need directly from the bass. However, when I go trough a bass preamp-head it turns out that only a neutral setting on the bass works well.

I suppose this is good, however I would like to be able to have more verstatility from the bass, so I have though of changing the onboard preamp.

I looked at bartolini's sight and its a little confusing. I am looking for bright sounds. Which one pream model is best for this? do I need to change the pickups also?
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Samie - First off, let's start cheap. Can you get Rotosound Swing 66's or DR Hi-Beams in Spain? That's the least expensive way I know of to get "bright." (Or have you already tried that?)

As for making the decision about pickups and onboards, this site will tell you a good deal about various makes and their characteristics Onboards are discussed after "pickups".
  3. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Well I actually have medium-heavy flats on my trb5IIf so I know I really cant get a bright sounds. I guess I should say clean instead. You know If I put the bass knob to max on the bass, then On the preamp-head i really can't do much.

It a silly thing, but I like to play with every thing to the max.

I am happy with the sound I get, I was just wandering what a bartolini pream would do for me.

I guess its never enough money spent on music stuff.

Its hard to get anything that is not standard over here, luckly there is the internet. (I bought my bass on line)
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Unfortunately, Lane Poor isn't around any longer. Those were the clearest, cleanest I've ever heard.

Bartolini J series are known for their clarity and EMG's are hi-fi, clean, and clear. Even my inexpensive Carvin J99 is too clear for me, (I have to dirty it up with the humbucker, but that's just my taste).

Don't forget, your sound will only be as good as what your amp can deliver. You can put in all new electronics on your bass, but if your amp isn't up to the job, forget it. For instance, SWR's are noted for their hi-fi, clean tone while their rival, Eden, is warmer. A solid state head is usually very "clean.' (Didn't see an amp in your profile).

The "Gear" section of has a J pickup shootout with comparison charts.
  5. Before you go riping the guts out of a bass that you can get sounds you like-- try this, don't use a preamp. Get a good quality active or tube direct box maybe even a tube mic preamp and use that to drive a power amp into a speaker cab.
  6. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    NO amp here, I usually go direct into my home studio and listen through my event 2020bas(beautiful babes).

The bass sound has been great for RnB, dance, rock and Hip-hop, however I wasn't able to get a metal-rock harsh sound easily.

I recently got a BassPod, I am really amazed at the diferent sounds I can get with it. I am not finished evaluating the BOD so I haven't posted anything on it and I haven't updated my profile, but I have noticed that I get the best sounds with a neutral setting from the bass.

I wish to get a preamp(inside the bass) with a sweeping midrange so I can get a wider range of "neutral" sounds.

would something like the Bartolini NSTMB-18, be my answer?
  7. KeithPas

May 16, 2000
    Hi Samie, If you are using a TRB-f (fretless?) you are probably not going to get a "heavy metal" kind of sound. Also,you should know that recording consoles can color your basses tone.