1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass epi jack casady or hofner ct 500/1

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by enolys, Apr 23, 2010.

1. enolys

enolys

Nov 28, 2008
    I hesitate between these 2 basses as i want a sound with character and i 've not the chance to test them,
    I want to play rock ,pop,but trip hop and reggae two,
    Do you think on reggae roots,one of these 2 basses can do a better job?Is one really by far more polyvalent?
    thanks very much

2. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

The Jack's sound is huge and pretty flexible. The Hofner is more of a one trick pony, but oh what a trick!

3. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Casady!

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I have played both and I really liked the JC better. The Hofner felt like a toy and the frets were too close together for me. The JC also had a fatter bottom end.

5. Casady for sure. A friend of mine got one for christmas and i have been VERY impressed by it so far.

6. Casady wins hands down!!! I think it has a more versatile sound and, although this is a personal matter, it was far more comfortable than any violin bass I've ever played.

7. definitely get the jack.

8. never played either . . . but I always wanted a JC. Hofners hold no appeal to me just my 2ยข

9. Widdershins

Widdershins

Aug 28, 2007
    Another vote for the JC.

I had one and I sold it in October to help finance my Mesa Walkabout Scout.

I'll be buying a replacement one of these days... truly a fantastic instrument.

10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    The Hofner is short scale and the epi is 34" scale.

I say get the epi jc sig bass.

11. enolys

enolys

Nov 28, 2008
    I am happy to see that my hidden conviction join your opinions
    i did not read any feedback negative on the JC ,hope that i could play bass roots reggae on it,thanks very much for your passion and your comments

12. Search TB for comments on the Casady - there's a LONG thread extolling its virtues.

As a Casady owner, I'd go that way in a heartbeat.

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, they're two completely different animals, and you really can't compare them to each other. the only similarity is that they're both hollow (or semi-hollow) bodies.
    a 500/1 (real german) hofner is definitely a beautiful thing to behold, as far as quality of craftmanship and having legendary tone, but being that it is a short scale bass, and having the famous hofner 'thump', comparing it to a long scale JC with its center mounted variable impedance pickup (which i find to be more versatile), isn't even close to having the same sound or feel.

14. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got both and both will work for what you want. Each have their own merits. In the end, its up to you to decide.

Guitars205.

15. enolys

enolys

Nov 28, 2008
    arrrg!! i was fixed and your last comment makes a big confusion for me,i restart to my first question...really hard to decide because i don't have the oportunity to try them...i tried the hofner and liked it but did not have the chance to try the JC..

16. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    here's my '68 ( and i love it!):

beatlebass-4-w.

17. enolys

enolys

Nov 28, 2008
    Very nice condition for it's age.i am french and this bass remind me Serge gainsbourg's 1970's songs,Melody nelson delicious..

18. Peacefrog35

Peacefrog35

Dec 26, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have a Hofner and love it and they are great for reggae.

19. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Beatle bass all the way!

20. jblock

jblock Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    The Hofner contemporary is not a one-trick pony and is capable of a variety of sounds. The Hofner will be lighter and a slimmer neck than the Casady. Having owned both, I think the Hofner contemporary has better construction.