1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bass EQ for a band with stubborn guitarists

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Traceman785, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Traceman785

Traceman785

Feb 5, 2013
    I'm in a 5 piece "Groove Metal" band, Two typical guitarists that wont change anything ever. They both use Extreme Scooped EQ's. I have a hard time finding my way into the mix. I Generally play Bass 12 O clock |low mid 2 O clolck | Highmid 1 O clock | Trebble 11 O clock. Would adding more 'Presence' be my only way to find the mix?
    I find soundguy's try to put my into the audible mix by making me straight Low Bass which works but ends up muddy when playing faster passages. Any thoughts would be very Appreciated

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Lower your bass and raise your mids more...

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Between 200hz and 800hz is where you need to focus your bass tone. Roll off your low end at 100hz and below. For a scenario like this, you may want to make sound guys use a mic on your rig to get you heard in the mix. Or if you tell them they will have a wall of low end from the guitarists and you don't want to add to it, they may be surprised by your willingness to work on your tone.

Think of Rex Brown from Pantera - he played with Dimebag Darrell - a definite shred happy tone without much midrange. Rex, for the most part, dialed in some midrange along with some overdrive to be heard in the mix.

You may want to add some overdrive to your tone also - this will give you more definition in every passage you play.

4. Might as well lighten the load with a piccolo bass.

5. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Go for the deep stuff and somewhere between 400 and 800. Cut somewhere between 100 and 300 if the guitars are too heavy there. Cut the treble (it's just noise that does nothing to make the pitches of the notes more discernible).

6. The knob on the far right labelled "volume". Take no prisoners.

7. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    When I was still playing with my last band, I picked up a custom 4-string off the classifieds here that's equipped with EMG P/J's and a b/t preamp. My main bass was my beloved passive franken-Jazz, Warmoth neck, DiMarzio Ultra J's, yaddah-yaddah...

Our guitar player was one to go for a little too much awesome in his volume on a regular basis and my amp was plenty healthy, but I tried to balance with my drummer more than match the guitar's decibels. Playing many shows with only vocals running through our PA made this situation more delicate.

The first time I gigged that P/J and solo'ed the P pickup, that growling tone had enough cut and presence that for the first time in our history together, guitar dude asked me to turn down! While I always appreciated the power of the mids, this accidental sonic victory was a bit of a revelation. Those low mids seem to be where a whole lot of the horsepower in our tone dwells. Just don't be a sucker and try to out-do the low end that those rock gods are trying to push. That will get the mud a slingin' for sure.

8. Traceman785

Traceman785

Feb 5, 2013
    Thanks for all the responses, I'll have quite a few more things to try now!

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ha! Great answer.

1) Seriously though. Big cabs. Use a pair of ChannelLocks to make sure the volume knob gets turned all the way to the right. Then break it off leaving it pegged. Then simply play as absolutely high on the fretboard as you can. Just go WAAAAAAY up there an octave or two higher than you "should". Just tear their heads off with "bass" lines that sound like guitar solos.

2) When they look at you with that famous confused guitar player look (kind of like a dog with their heads cocked ever so slightly to the side) simply inform that that if THEY are going to play BASS, then YOU'LL do something ELSE.

If that doesn't work, just dance around the stage in your tightey whiteys singing Tip Toe Through the Tulips and repeat step 2.

10. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Boost around 250 and 2k. Don't be afraid to boost a LOT.

11. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    I had that problem in a rock band i joined my Yorkville 400B combo wouldnt compete.No problem next gig i showed up with my Traynor DynaBass 800H with my mid 90,s Ampeg single 15 cab gave them the old 600 watts at 8 0hms.Still could give 800 watts @ 4 ohms if needed but it wasnt required.

12. More mids is the answer. Just CRANK your low mids. Add hi mids for definition. I d say start with leaving your bass and treble where they are but put your lo mid around 4-5 o clock and your hi mids around 3.

Might sound too nasaly when its just you solo, but just wait til you hear how it sits in the mix.

13. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Wherever they cut for their scoop then that is where you can live. Most likely mids as others have said. If you are playing lockstep to their riffs you probably will still have a hard time hearing yourself even then.

14. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Pretty much what everyone else said. You dont want to boost bass, It turns to mud and buries your mids. Let the kick have that spot. I cut below 80 to 100HZ, Boost around 250HZ will at punch, 500HZ will cut. If it sounds good solo it probably will suck in the mix.

15. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    these are good tips.
    one other, though: record the band. Have them listen objectively. Point out how their "awesome" solo tones just turn to mud and push you out of the mix.
    If more folks listened to their tones in band settings, the world would be a better place.