Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bass EQ GEB-7

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Dave44, Jun 24, 2002.

1. I have been playing with this pedal for the last couple of days and have found it to be a pretty decent EQ untill I can afford a better unit this will have to do. My question is does anyone have any experience with this model Boss GEB-7 7 band EQ and can you help me with a few settings on it. I know they have a few suggested settings included with the instructions, but there are only a few. I play a wide variety of tunes from Jazz to Rock and or Roll I've even been knowen to play some country tunes when times get tough. Thanx for your input.
    Ohh I play a Fender Jazz through a Eden Combo CXC 1015C3.

2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

I won't suggest particular settings because so much of that depends on your instrument, amp, playing style, style of music, and the room you are in.

What I suggest is that you learn how each band effects your tone. The best way to do that is start by cutting all bands by about 6 dB. Now raise each slider one at a time while you are playing a bass line you know well. Make a record of how the frequency sounds to you. You may even want to write down one or two descriptive words for reference. This way if you are in a room where it sounds 'boomy', you know to cut the 50Hz band, if you think it doesn't cut enough you boost the mids, too much edge means cut the upper mids, etc.

3. I still have one of these for sale if anyone wants one.
    a few people made offers a while ago but i lost the e-mails... sorry... e-mail me again if you still want it.

4. virtual.ray

virtual.ray

Oct 25, 2000
    I have one and like it.It can be used a few different ways,one way I like to use it is as an outboard EQ for my passive MTD Kingston 5,which doesn't have the glaasy highs that are so prevalent in good active basses.
    Another useful app is to preset a low/high boost-mid cut with the sliders and when that slap solo moment arrives,stomp on the switch and you're there.
    One thing they got right with this box is that not only are the frequency bands tailored for BG,but the Q or width of each band is wider or narrower than it's neighbors in a way that is musically useful in a lot of contexts.
    The footswitch function to me makes this box superior in some ways to an onboard EQ or an outboard pre because you have that instant switchability that beats twirling knobs on a dark stage any day.

5. lo-z gave solid advice. I am interested in that new Boss Dual EQ pedal, since you can store 9 different settings on it. Those of us with multiple axes in a wide array of styles might find that useful. lo-z has you set right for now tho'.